how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

Anonymous
2018-08-25T20:20:22+00:00

it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING!  I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM!

they say its for MY security? yeah, thats what ALL dictators say before they commit a mass genocide! i dont need microsoft snooping around in my comupter, because thats all their updates seem to be doing, is allowing them to forcibly access my computer.

if anyone knows of a program to block out microsoft from accessing my computer and forcing "updates" on me, then please share them!

microsoft saying they wont FORCE a new OS on people apparently doesnt include said operating system to be forcibly changed by them at any time, even if it means screwing up whatever you are doing at the time!

there needs to be some kind of action taken against microsoft about this, because it feels like i dont own my computer, but that microsoft does! i cant turn off "windows update medic service". the FACT that microsoft has a so called "service" like this, is enough of an example of how many people dont want their system "updated"!

it wouldnt surprise me if this was taken down because they dont want people to understand that this is worse than apple bricking devices because of a replacement part. if i dont have control over my device being "updated" then it is not my device, but the one who is updating it. that is not what i agreed to when i purchased this computer (not leased, but purchased!), so it is in violation of a purchase agreement and microsoft should be facing a class action lawsuit over this! but because they said they wouldnt do one forcible "update" they are getting away with this!

can anything be done about this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T17:12:53+00:00

    "This device doesn't support Miracast, so you can't project to it wirelessly", I have no idea what the heck Miracast is but I can assure you I wouldn't have installed this app

    How can anyone argue against logic like that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T17:09:51+00:00

    ... all i can think, is that your saying to go buy new hardware every time there is an issue, which is absurd. when their"software" causes my pc to have issues when it was working just fine the way it was, thats on them, not on my HARDWARE! 

    My motherboard, which includes my sound and Ethernet functionality, is nine years old. (I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100.) I did eventually replace the stock graphics card with a Radeon 5670 - that one is six years old. Another one of your theories down the tubes.

    You should take half the energy you put into arguing and invest it in a search engine. Learn how technology really works, and how to make it work for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T03:46:51+00:00

    Too bad you are wrong! Win. 10 is the most secured version ever. Win. XP is outdated with no security fixes.

    Wrong about what?

    • Are you telling me I did have problems with Windows versions I say I didn't?
    • Are you saying I'm not annoyed by user accounts?
    • Are you saying that tech/IT support people don't always assume this condescending tone and tell me to make sure I'm running as an administrator?
    • Are you saying that Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly? or that they care?
    • Are you saying that Windows 8 wasn't a complete disaster?
    • Are you saying the new subscription, customer data collection, and cloud services aren't being foisted on us?
    • Are you saying that MS isn't trying to push people to subscription services?  I still use Office 2010 quite happily, I'm sure that annoys the hell out of MS and that they'd much rather I paid them a monthly fee.
    • Are you saying that MS isn't collecting data on it's "customers"?
    • Are you saying they aren't trying to force us to use their cloud services?
    • I can assure you that MS will eventually decide that Windows 10 updates will not be free any more.

    As for XP I'm not using it, I don't care if the company I was talking about goes down in flames, they are a corporation just like all the rest, profits this quarter at all costs, next quarter doesn't exist yet.

    As for Windows 10 being secure, I wouldn't know, I get far less use of my computer with Windows 10 because I spend a portion of my time trying to fix what each update breaks.

    And don't tell me to go to the feedback hub, I've posted well over 100 times with no response from MS whatsoever.  I've also watched others that have posted on all the same issues I have, they haven't received any response either.

    You wanna know the REALLY annoying thing?  Like I said, I haven't had to re-install Windows since the days of Windows ME.  The common fix after each update for Windows 10 seems to be to reinstall Windows, but they tell you to be careful because you'll lose all your applications when you do, you know, the ones I actually Wanted?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T03:27:46+00:00

    No worries, I reported you for your crap. MS never forces any apps to be installed. They never know what apps we need.

    Never forces apps?

    Here are a few:

    • Camera, my computer doesn't have a camera
    • Connect, "This device doesn't support Miracast, so you can't project to it wirelessly", I have no idea what the heck Miracast is but I can assure you I wouldn't have installed this app
    • Cortana, Spyware
    • Groove Music
    • Maps
    • Messaging
    • Mixed Reality Portal
    • Mixed Reality Viewer
    • OneDrive
    • Paint 3D
    • People
    • Sticky Notes
    • Voice Recorder
    • Xbox (this one is just plain STUPID!)

    All of these apps are on my computer against my wishes and cannot be removed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T03:00:25+00:00

    you realize thats like saying "you say your car started having a vibration because you put new tires on it? i just put new tires on my car and i dont have any issues, so how can yours have an issue?"

    but i guess those on their ivory tower dont understand that a generic update does not work for everyone. but then again, i must not get it huh? WTH is there to get? get a new computer!? no thanks, dont need one. mine works just fine, until microsoft decides they want to update my audio driver to their "generic" one that doesnt work on my rig. so i then have to go through the troubleshooter to download the HD audio driver. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! 

    but i GET IT now (at least what your trying to say that is)! im supposed to just up and buy a new $350 motherboard every time microsoft decides they want to "update" my pc because my "hardware" is not compatible with their "software"!

    if thats not "IT", then feel free to elaborate on what "IT" is then. because all i can think, is that your saying to go buy new hardware every time there is an issue, which is absurd. when their"software" causes my pc to have issues when it was working just fine the way it was, thats on them, not on my HARDWARE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments