how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

Anonymous
2018-08-25T20:20:22+00:00

it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING!  I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM!

they say its for MY security? yeah, thats what ALL dictators say before they commit a mass genocide! i dont need microsoft snooping around in my comupter, because thats all their updates seem to be doing, is allowing them to forcibly access my computer.

if anyone knows of a program to block out microsoft from accessing my computer and forcing "updates" on me, then please share them!

microsoft saying they wont FORCE a new OS on people apparently doesnt include said operating system to be forcibly changed by them at any time, even if it means screwing up whatever you are doing at the time!

there needs to be some kind of action taken against microsoft about this, because it feels like i dont own my computer, but that microsoft does! i cant turn off "windows update medic service". the FACT that microsoft has a so called "service" like this, is enough of an example of how many people dont want their system "updated"!

it wouldnt surprise me if this was taken down because they dont want people to understand that this is worse than apple bricking devices because of a replacement part. if i dont have control over my device being "updated" then it is not my device, but the one who is updating it. that is not what i agreed to when i purchased this computer (not leased, but purchased!), so it is in violation of a purchase agreement and microsoft should be facing a class action lawsuit over this! but because they said they wouldnt do one forcible "update" they are getting away with this!

can anything be done about this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T20:29:17+00:00

    "This device doesn't support Miracast, so you can't project to it wirelessly", I have no idea what the heck Miracast is but I can assure you I wouldn't have installed this app

    How can anyone argue against logic like that?

    You can't.  It's an application I have no use for and wouldn't have installed.  It's on my computer and I'm stuck with it.  I can't even remove it from my start menu.  I did a quick search to find out what miracast is, it's not something I even have the components to use as I don't own a smart phone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T18:20:24+00:00

    Still no "updates" since I shut them off.😁

    09/08/2018

    That's what this thread is about, so I reported on not getting any.

    Will report again 09/12/2018

    Still no updates---09/13/2018

    I found this link in a post by @Sumit.

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-updates-windows-10-stopupdates10

    It should be pinned in the Featured section.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T17:35:15+00:00
    • Are you saying that MS isn't trying to push people to subscription services?  I still use Office 2010 quite happily, I'm sure that annoys the hell out of MS and that they'd much rather I paid them a monthly fee.

    this was simply an excuse to make for money, thats all. when you can buy office 2010 for $40, or office 365 for $69 a year, i think i know which one i would go with! it just doesnt make sense to get 365 when the older version has worked fine for so long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T17:34:56+00:00

    Please go to services.msc, then click on update. Then, click manual update or disable update. Reminder: Updates are important. Without them, devices can have issues.

    A reminder, WITH updates devices -- like the computer -- has problems that didn't exist before the updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T17:26:40+00:00

    so then your saying i should just have to re-download all my drivers everytime microsoft wants to update my computer then? because thats how technology works?

    i have made my compouter work for a good long while now (not even sure how many years to be honest), and it has built in wireless ethernet and hd audio, along with the MSI r9 390 graphics card i have been running for the past couple years now. im prettttty sure i know how to make it work for me bud.

    as i have been saying, it whenever microsoft wants to update my computer (yes, them changing SOFTWARE on my computer) that i have issues. i'll have about 10 more "services" turned on that are using up my cpu for their background services that i dont need on my gaming pc, i'll have to re-download the drivers for my audio to work, re-download the drivers for my xbox one controller, re-download the drivers for my smart phone on the pc to be able to download pictures from it. but yeah, thats just how technology works, right? just give in to all the spamware that microsoft wants to shove down our throat. its almost as bad as the advertisements on websites in how it slows down a pc.

    BTW, i LOVE how you say "do a search", "learn how to use technology", and yet you still cannot reply to me in a way that explains your reasoning for me to "learn how to make it work for you"....... just what the hell do i need to learn exactly bulldog? just learn to accept microsofts spamware?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments