windows 10 - desktop unavailable after updates

Anonymous
2018-05-15T08:51:05+00:00

Hi

Trying to start my pc and get this message:-

Location is not available

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If this location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure that you're connected to the network or internet, then try again. If the location still can not be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

Can someone please advise how to fix

Thanks

DannyDay1

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-15T08:53:10+00:00

Hi Danny, can you get into Windows File Explorer?

If so:, open Windows File Explorer

On the View Ribbon, check the box marked 'Hidden Items'

C:\users\Default\

Right click and copy the Desktop folder contained in the Default Folder

Navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile

Right click and Paste the Desktop folder into the systemprofile folder

Restart (not shut sown) your PC

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-23T16:44:39+00:00

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-24T15:05:38+00:00

    Hi

    I am getting below error after update and restart the system.

    Location is not available:C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

    Regards,

    Sangireddy Gangireddy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T03:48:28+00:00

    I've found this thread and am hoping someone can help me!

    I have an HP Pavilion laptop, which I turned off the night before last, and when I woke up yesterday morning and opened the screen, there was an error message. I hadn't even pressed the on button, so I'm assuming that maybe when I hit shutdown the night before, it either didn't shut down, or maybe ran an update overnight which caused a problem. The error message was C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable....etc etc

    I could hit 'ok' and hide that screen, but I'd have a black desktop with no icons except for the recycling bin, and I wasn't able to click on the 'start' icon. There was also a red cross against the network symbol in the bottom right. 

    If I did a hard shutdown and then turned it on again, it would go to a blue screen with 'please wait' for ages, and when it finally got to the user login screen, it would have the background image and my name, but would say 'preparing windows'...again, for ages.

    I've read some stuff online about a windows 10 update causing these problems, and I followed steps I read to restore the system to the day before the problems. I can't remember how I did this now, but the restore seemed to complete, yet the same problems remain. 

    At one point, when I left the laptop for over an hour, it loaded the whole desktop but I still couldn't click on start. It eventually loaded the search bar though, so I searched for file explorer, and managed to open a file. I thought I'd solved the problem, but when I had to shut it down to go out, I lost any progress and haven't got to that point since. It also, even when I could open a file, still wouldn't allow a network connection. I tried to troubleshoot that, and got two messages:

    1. 'There might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adaptor'
    2. 'A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken'

    I've followed some steps from this thread, including using the windows + R key, copying and pasting the desktop icon etc, and restarting the laptop, and I now have some icons (although I don't think all of them). However I still can't click on start, or the search toolbar, and the symbols in the bottom-right aren't all there.

    It does allow me to open something from the desktop - Chrome for example - but then says there's no internet. Although I can't see the file explorer, it does allow me to open Irfanview, and then find files from within that, and open them.

    If someone could help, I'd be really grateful. I'm travelling at the moment and use the laptop for backing up (and editing) my photographs. Because I'm travelling though, I have no ethernet cable or other kit that I've read about maybe needing. Thanks in advance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-19T10:19:51+00:00

    To access explorer, open run command by pressing Windows key + R, then just below click on browse, it will take you to explorer folder, after copying and pasting according to DaveM121's post then to restart fill in "cmd" then input shutdown /r

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments