Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-08T05:14:49+00:00

    I agree with Jim:

    When you are doing clean install of Win 10  to new HDD/SSD or delete all existing partitions on used disk (item 4 in Jim's picture) and continue to install (item 5) used partition style (MBR / GPT) is selected depending on are you boot your install media in Legacy or UEFI mode.

    On both cases installation process first create necessary system partitions on correct format and the rest of the disk will be formatted to NTSF for Windows 10.

    There is also new tool on Windows 10 1703 or later that can be use to convert running system disk from MBR to GPT without losing any data.

    More details: MBR2GPT.EXE

    It is never waist of time to read and learn new things to keep your knowledge updated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T05:22:07+00:00

    Another little trick.;

    If you have not cleaned it out before doing a clean install or reset do this; copy the Download Folder in File Explorer to a USB or another drive on the disk.  Then use it to install the downloaded programs rather than wandering all over the Internet to download the programs again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T05:32:13+00:00

    its because you both don't know jack poo. I bet neither one of you have ever set up a drive. I would bet $1000.00 on it. Didn't you fling poo chips couple nights ago there Pauly. LOL. This site is FULL of uneducated wanna be clowns that my 10 year old grandson would make you look real dumb like you really are.

    Come on over to my business and show me how to do the computer thing boy. LMFAO. Hilarious. I worked on more PC's in a week I bet than you probably have in your life time. That is the hilarious part.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T05:34:22+00:00

    Ya that one is kind of a NO BRAINER. Keep you install media disks stored safely and keep backup of all installer files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T05:39:08+00:00

    Question 4 ya. What if nobody keeps their saved installer files in Download Folder and in a different folder. Should they still copy the EMPTY download folder to an external storage location???????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments