Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:26:39+00:00

    It is not so black and white. I think you are misunderstanding my comments. I also know that things do not always pan out properly. There is also different situations.

    Then he had 7 to 10 in BIOS and wants to convert to EFI. It does not always work so easily and then if a mistake is made after the partition is created and you then format NTFS, then the GPT is destroyed. So you get failed install, like I have seen 10,000 posts online and have to create partitions and start over.

    Once YOU ACTUALLY WORK ON SOME PC'S, you will get what I am saying.

    And I would SCRAP the EFI GPT and stay with BIOS MBR. Haven't seen any PC's failing on installs and upgrades or major updates with BIOS I have worked on, they are all failing with EFI.

    The only BIOS failures were because of people doing stupid stuff and corrupting their OS.

    Then was this an original OEM install. He wants to do a clean install. So is there software on an OEM partition. There are factors that are in play here.

    you say>>but your contention that an EFI partition must be created by the user prior to a clean GPT installation is just wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

    If he want to do clean install using EFI, then you would want to partition the drive correctly, format and install. How does that not make sense.

    Anyways, I am done. basic common sense.

    Maybe I should rephrase. >>'PREPARE THE DRIVE"<<

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:36:06+00:00

    It is not so black and white. I think you are misunderstanding my comments.

    you say>>but your contention that an EFI partition must be created by the user prior to a clean GPT installation is just wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

    If he want to do clean install using EFI, then you would want to partition the drive correctly, format and install. How does that not make sense.

    Anyways, I am done. basic common sense.

    Maybe I should rephrase. >>'PREPARE THE DRIVE"<<

    If I'm misunderstanding your comments, it's because I'm reading what you wrote, not what you might have intended to write.   Write clearly and it won't be an issue.

    Again, if you're doing a clean EFI install, there is no need to partition the drive before beginning the install.  You can do it during the install, and *there is no need to create an EFI partition beforehand.*Of course, if you want more than one partition (not including EFI or recovery), then those partitions could be prepared in advance.  But even if you do create an EFI partition beforehand, it will be overwritten during the install process *if the install is done correctly.*That's why I said it makes no sense.  If you have, in your own experience, wasted time in creating an EFI partition before the install, then when the install was complete noted the presence of the partition and assumed it to be the one you created, well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:51:09+00:00

    LOL, Ok Mr. never did any of it before, there on his laptop he bought and upgraded.

    If you are telling me if you prepare a drive prior to install, that is it automatically over ridden, repartitioned and formatted you are full of it. This goes for MBR or GPT installs.

    There is actually different partition sizes you can create.

    So f...ing hilarious.

    DERP, DERP, GIGGDY, GIGGIDY!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:52:36+00:00

    LOL, Ok Mr. never did any of it before, there on his laptop he bought and upgraded.

    If you are telling me if you prepare a drive prior to install, that is it automatically over ridden, repartitioned and formatted you are full of it. This goes for MBR or GPT installs.

    There is actually different partition sizes you can create.

    So f...ing hilarious.

    DERP, DERP, GIGGDY, GIGGIDY!

    So in addition to not being able to write so that you can be understood, you also can't read and understand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T17:00:47+00:00

    Understand, I do this every fking day dude. If I know how to do it and do it all the time, and succeed 100% of the time, how do I not understand what I know is the facts. Just drop it.

    Example:

    I want to do an EFI install and will use bitlocker. So I create larger partitions for EFI and WRE and I want 2 additional partitions for storage. So I prepare the drive which takes 5 minutes and I know for fact the partition sizes I created.

    Then according to you, those all will be wiped out on install and windows will create the 4 needed partitions and format them and redo my additional 2 partitions.

    GET REAL DUDE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments