Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:26:39+00:00

    It is not so black and white. I think you are misunderstanding my comments. I also know that things do not always pan out properly. There is also different situations.

    Then he had 7 to 10 in BIOS and wants to convert to EFI. It does not always work so easily and then if a mistake is made after the partition is created and you then format NTFS, then the GPT is destroyed. So you get failed install, like I have seen 10,000 posts online and have to create partitions and start over.

    Once YOU ACTUALLY WORK ON SOME PC'S, you will get what I am saying.

    And I would SCRAP the EFI GPT and stay with BIOS MBR. Haven't seen any PC's failing on installs and upgrades or major updates with BIOS I have worked on, they are all failing with EFI.

    The only BIOS failures were because of people doing stupid stuff and corrupting their OS.

    Then was this an original OEM install. He wants to do a clean install. So is there software on an OEM partition. There are factors that are in play here.

    you say>>but your contention that an EFI partition must be created by the user prior to a clean GPT installation is just wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

    If he want to do clean install using EFI, then you would want to partition the drive correctly, format and install. How does that not make sense.

    Anyways, I am done. basic common sense.

    Maybe I should rephrase. >>'PREPARE THE DRIVE"<<

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:03:30+00:00

    LOL, no he was referring to switching to GPT BEFORE A CLEAN INSTALL. And if you are doing a clean install the first time using GPT EFI, the drive has to be prepared manually or using windows disk part, which is not always successful.

    I am not going to debate, as I have did hundreds of installs. You put in a new HDD or switch from BIOS to EFI and try just to install windows using EFI and good luck. You have to prepare the drive first manually or using windows disk part. It is not rocket science.

    I provided a link earlier to Microsoft's own instructions, but for convenience I'll provide it again (here) and show the relevant bit:

    The drive won't be formatted GPT and put into EFI mode without an EFI partition being created during the installation process.  It is possible to manually convert NTFS to GPT, but your contention that an EFI partition must be created by the user prior to a clean GPT installation is just wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:29:40+00:00

    LOL, no he was referring to switching to GPT BEFORE A CLEAN INSTALL. And if you are doing a clean install the first time using GPT EFI, the drive has to be prepared manually or using windows disk part, which is not always successful.

    I am not going to debate, as I have did hundreds of installs. You put in a new HDD or switch from BIOS to EFI and try just to install windows using EFI and good luck. You have to prepare the drive first manually or using windows disk part. It is not rocket science.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:18:33+00:00

    No, you have to do it as mentioned by MikeP or manually. It does not do it automatically itself

    MikeP was referring to converting NTFS to GPT, not doing a clean install.  Again, in a clean install using GPT, the EFI partition is created automatically.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:07:51+00:00

    Oh by the way, Diskpart for windows does not always succeed. You may have to prepare drive manually. Especially with dual SSD/HDD. That is why I do them all manually. Takes a couple minutes to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments