Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-05-08T05:14:49+00:00

    I agree with Jim:

    When you are doing clean install of Win 10  to new HDD/SSD or delete all existing partitions on used disk (item 4 in Jim's picture) and continue to install (item 5) used partition style (MBR / GPT) is selected depending on are you boot your install media in Legacy or UEFI mode.

    On both cases installation process first create necessary system partitions on correct format and the rest of the disk will be formatted to NTSF for Windows 10.

    There is also new tool on Windows 10 1703 or later that can be use to convert running system disk from MBR to GPT without losing any data.

    More details: MBR2GPT.EXE

    It is never waist of time to read and learn new things to keep your knowledge updated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T17:00:47+00:00

    Understand, I do this every fking day dude. If I know how to do it and do it all the time, and succeed 100% of the time, how do I not understand what I know is the facts. Just drop it.

    Example:

    I want to do an EFI install and will use bitlocker. So I create larger partitions for EFI and WRE and I want 2 additional partitions for storage. So I prepare the drive which takes 5 minutes and I know for fact the partition sizes I created.

    Then according to you, those all will be wiped out on install and windows will create the 4 needed partitions and format them and redo my additional 2 partitions.

    GET REAL DUDE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:52:36+00:00

    LOL, Ok Mr. never did any of it before, there on his laptop he bought and upgraded.

    If you are telling me if you prepare a drive prior to install, that is it automatically over ridden, repartitioned and formatted you are full of it. This goes for MBR or GPT installs.

    There is actually different partition sizes you can create.

    So f...ing hilarious.

    DERP, DERP, GIGGDY, GIGGIDY!

    So in addition to not being able to write so that you can be understood, you also can't read and understand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:51:09+00:00

    LOL, Ok Mr. never did any of it before, there on his laptop he bought and upgraded.

    If you are telling me if you prepare a drive prior to install, that is it automatically over ridden, repartitioned and formatted you are full of it. This goes for MBR or GPT installs.

    There is actually different partition sizes you can create.

    So f...ing hilarious.

    DERP, DERP, GIGGDY, GIGGIDY!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T16:36:06+00:00

    It is not so black and white. I think you are misunderstanding my comments.

    you say>>but your contention that an EFI partition must be created by the user prior to a clean GPT installation is just wrong and makes no sense whatsoever.

    If he want to do clean install using EFI, then you would want to partition the drive correctly, format and install. How does that not make sense.

    Anyways, I am done. basic common sense.

    Maybe I should rephrase. >>'PREPARE THE DRIVE"<<

    If I'm misunderstanding your comments, it's because I'm reading what you wrote, not what you might have intended to write.   Write clearly and it won't be an issue.

    Again, if you're doing a clean EFI install, there is no need to partition the drive before beginning the install.  You can do it during the install, and *there is no need to create an EFI partition beforehand.*Of course, if you want more than one partition (not including EFI or recovery), then those partitions could be prepared in advance.  But even if you do create an EFI partition beforehand, it will be overwritten during the install process *if the install is done correctly.*That's why I said it makes no sense.  If you have, in your own experience, wasted time in creating an EFI partition before the install, then when the install was complete noted the presence of the partition and assumed it to be the one you created, well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments