Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T20:13:24+00:00

    I sign out and back on and it worked.

    This was on only 1 of the 4 laptops. Some of the replies were done on the other laptops just to see if they were affected.  They were not and I have the other one looking good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T19:25:41+00:00

    LOL, now he is back from USER A to lacrumb. That has happened to me before by accident, as they claimed, NOT, but they also do it when you are naughty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T19:19:13+00:00

    So why is lacrumb now "User A". He didn't do anything wrong. He is always polite.

    He's ok. He's still actively typing away with lots more energy than me though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T18:48:30+00:00

    So why is lacrumb now "User A". He didn't do anything wrong. He is always polite.

    This is for Paul O. reply in my email

    Pauli O has replied to the question <br>Windows 10 clean install that you are following in <br>Microsoft Community.
    Now you don't know what you are writing? <br><br>On one previous posting you wrote: <br><br>"You put in a new HDD or switch from BIOS to EFI and try just to install windows using EFI and good luck.<br>You have to prepare the drive first manually or using windows disk part. It is not rocket science." <br><br>Now you wrote: <br><br>"I have did hundreds of installs without preparing drives too. Stick the disk in and go." <br><br>P.S. As you said "Well I am 52, so not a young pup either." <br><br>I'm  2 years older than you so don't pup me, son!

    >>>Yes Paullt, I have installed many Windows 98, XP 7, 8 & 10 by just inserting the disk and installing. Mainly for a BIOS MBR install. But for additional partitions other than the default, I would either use Windows diskpart on install or my program to prepare the drive.

    If drives are just being reinstalled, no need to diskpart. Just format.

    However, Using UEFI GPT, The same applies in most cases. But many times for particular disk setups or switching from EFI to BIOS, I like to prepare them myself using another app beforehand, especially new drives.

    So I do know what I write. Stick the disk in and go means>>>it is already partitioned, so windows will either format or not and do the install. I am sorry Paulie you are confused of the many situations that people can have, and the steps they can take to complete them/

    Take Care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more