Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T07:55:57+00:00

    If you can completely delete all partitions on the hard drive and install into the raw space, I think windows might automatically partition it to its prefered Gpt provided your bios is uefi.  Some bios you have to tell it to enable gpt, or efi.   My 2012 model laptop has settings to use uefi/gpt or mbr, or both.  

    Create Windows 10 installation media  Use the media creation tool to download an iso for use on another computer and let it make you a bootable usb drive - boot off it and do the custom install.  When it asks for a key, click the part to skip it or do later and it should automatically self activate from your motherboard id/serial once online within a day or so, if not instantly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments