Windows 10 clean install

Anonymous
2018-05-07T07:39:02+00:00

PC won't boot and I'm done attempting a repair. Finished.

I would like to start from scratch but would like to install the OS GPT vs MBR which I had originally done. 

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition before the 10 upgrade for free expired so I don't have a key. What's the best trouble free method? I also installed with a legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) but the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev 1.0) is UEFI capable.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:29:40+00:00

    LOL, no he was referring to switching to GPT BEFORE A CLEAN INSTALL. And if you are doing a clean install the first time using GPT EFI, the drive has to be prepared manually or using windows disk part, which is not always successful.

    I am not going to debate, as I have did hundreds of installs. You put in a new HDD or switch from BIOS to EFI and try just to install windows using EFI and good luck. You have to prepare the drive first manually or using windows disk part. It is not rocket science.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:18:33+00:00

    No, you have to do it as mentioned by MikeP or manually. It does not do it automatically itself

    MikeP was referring to converting NTFS to GPT, not doing a clean install.  Again, in a clean install using GPT, the EFI partition is created automatically.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T14:07:51+00:00

    Oh by the way, Diskpart for windows does not always succeed. You may have to prepare drive manually. Especially with dual SSD/HDD. That is why I do them all manually. Takes a couple minutes to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T13:58:19+00:00

    No, you have to do it as mentioned by MikeP or manually. It does not do it automatically itself

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-07T13:46:32+00:00

    If it never had EFI partitions, then they will not automatically be created to EFI install.

    You have to create the EFI partition (FAT)

    and the MR, WRE, OS partitions (NTFS)

    Just because you set it to GPT EFI from BIOS, it does not magically create these partitions and proper formats for them.

    If he upgraded from 7 to 10 and never changed MB then it will activate during install. You do not need the Key.

    I would do a BIOS install. There is NO advantage to EFI install except you can use HDD's over 2.4TB in size. BIOS is the best way with less issues.

    In a clean install in GPT/EFI mode, the EFI partition will be created during installation.  There's no need to do it beforehand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments