Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T01:42:58+00:00

    The mobile phone hot spot and your home network are 2 different things.

    Private network at Home and Public Network connecting to someone's business internet.

    Set up your modem/router this way.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

    Then follow this to learn everything about Home Networking.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

    Now I am taking another screen shot before Squirrel Nuts Discriminates and Violates the Forum Policies by removing others comments for no reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T23:49:57+00:00

    If I am sounding frustrated, bear in mind that I have been through a whole lot of investigation to put the computers on static IP addresses and now I am being told not to.

    So, I have gone through all the suggestions above and have gone back to automatic IP addresses on all computers and the full range on the home modem. I have checked all the advanced sharing options and all the changes to the Services mentioned. I have restarted the modem and all the computers. The home network now appears to be working.

    In order to connect to the internet through the mobile phone hotspot I had to return to the IPv4 settings to again make it get the DNS settings automatically. So I am now apparently back to what the situation was before Microsoft deleted the HomeGroup.

    I find it extraordinary that Ms can just delete the Homegroup with no warning and no advice on what effect it will have on home computer networks. This has wasted hours of my time and considerable grey hairs and I am comparatively computer literate. What it has done to those less familiar I hate to think.

    No marks Ms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T01:59:10+00:00

    So, all that was a total waste of time - I am back to my original problem. Let me restate it:

    I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

    I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopname in the address bar).

    Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

    The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

    How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up

    Please bear in mind that I have done all the previous suggestions. I need something that fixes it, not something that sends me round in a circle again.

    Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T02:42:35+00:00

    use shortcuts with PC IP addresses. Works every time.

    Maybe your PC needing restarted has another OEM software settings for the adapter to keep the connection. Does the PC being restarted lose its internet connection too??????

    If not, then are you using sleep or hibernate on the PC.

    You talk about it not being able to WAKE UP when you call for it by trying to connect to it. Are you trying to wake it using the Network Folder and selecting that PC ????

    I suspect you have the v1803 intermittent connection issue between PC''s not being able to connect to each others using the Network folder or PC Host name to try and connect.

    If you have an internet connection and each has an assigned IP Address in the Modem Device Table, then them not connecting to each other is one thing.

    Then ONLY not being able to connect to each other after one or both PC's have set idle for awhile in sleep or hibernate mode could be a different thing. When you state WAKE, then that is not just trying to access another PC. That is trying to access one that is sleeping, OFF or hibernating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T05:16:57+00:00

    OK, using a shortcut to the IP address (not the computer address) gets me access, but does not connect the network (e.g. I can read the files, but if a program tries to open a file on the other computer using the computer name it says it is not accessible). So that is not a solution.

    I close the lid on each computer when leaving them and the setting is for each to hibernate. It also turns off the modem. When I return I open the lid and press the power button to bring each back from hibernation. I wait for both to boot up completely and for the modem to boot up and try to connect. Failure. The ONLY solution I have found is to restart the one that won’t connect.

    So I don’t understand your suggestion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments