Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T02:52:57+00:00

    This doesn't respond to the mobile phone hotspot issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-30T03:03:19+00:00

    Have you test that option 2: Dynamic addressing, no edited hosts file, IPv6 disabled?

    I just test that with Lumia 950. It create mobile hotspot, PC connected to it, Lumia give IPv4 address and internet runs fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T06:33:14+00:00

    Pauli O: Dynamic IP addresses on the router was what caused the problems in the first place and so there is no way of going back there.

    Seahawks: I see nothing in your list that addresses my problem; in fact you mention HomeGroups when it was Microsoft's abolition of those that caused my problems in the first place. They don't exist any more, or didn't you know?

    My problem is linking to a mobile phone hotspot, not a router or modem.

    Anyone have an answer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-30T08:17:11+00:00

    Is your mobile hotspot using static IP addresses or DHCP when client connect to that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments