Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T02:18:53+00:00

    I have mentioned previously that your suggestions are not suitable for my situation.

    I don't believe that personal abuse is appropriate in a forum of this kind.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T23:55:29+00:00

    Sounds like you have made as much progress as anyone with the current state of Win10. Good job and way to persevere. It's always great to see people get the results they need. I just wish it hadn't come to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T22:24:44+00:00

    For those poor souls who have been following this, let me summarise how to get a stable Network.

    First find the computer's MAC address by hitting the Windows key, type cmd [Enter] and then ipconfig /all [Enter].

    Under "Wireless LAN Adaptor WiFi" the "Physical address" is the MAC address of that computer.

    But, convert the address from what it shows 1C-4B-D6-92-F6-6K to 1C:4B:D6:92:F6:6K (i.e. replace dashes with colons).

    Log in to the modem and go to "Advanced Setup". Change the "Start IP address" (at the bottom of the screen in mine, but maybe elsewhere in yours) to a higher figure out of the way (50?)

    Underneath that click "Add entries" and put in the MAC address and the preferred (static) IP address (say 3).

    Do that for each computer. Restart in all directions, and presto! you have a fixed IP address for each computer and the network is stable.

    No problem in turning off the modem to save power - it will reopen with all the static IP addresses.

    I found that not all computers will show in the Network window of Windows Explorer, but they can be found by putting the computer name (e.g. \Laptop) in the address bar. Another alternative is to construct a short cut on the desktop or elsewhere. Software on one computer can also open a file on another computer that way.

    I still find it unbelievable that Microsoft can just abolish the Homegroups and leave everyone with days of investigation to get a stable network.

    Real black mark, MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T21:01:03+00:00

    I agree.

    But, when you have not configured it yet, and wonder why it does not wake other PC's when you try and access them after they have been idle and you had the modem power off, and wonder why you have to restart the PC's and what not, is clearly obvious that is part of his problem for that.

    Next, if he has the issues connected to PC's on his network in v1803, then you will get access denied every time and must use shortcuts using PC IP ADDRESS. And then does he have his shares set up properly. Has he only used HomeGroup like many others and have no clue how to now share on the Network without HomeGroup.

    And then he has people telling him to make all these changes on his PC and Network to further his problems, when none of it is the problem.

    I do this everyday. I have not once had to alter anything on a home or business network or their PC's, servers or Domain settings.

    Once he sets up his network and it works, then he can power off his modem. But when he starts it up again, then tries to access another PC through the network, it might not do it until the PC's are restarted. I have seen this a million times over again. It is ELEMENTARY TO ME.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments