Have you test that option 2: Dynamic addressing, no edited hosts file, IPv6 disabled?
I just test that with Lumia 950. It create mobile hotspot, PC connected to it, Lumia give IPv4 address and internet runs fine.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.
I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).
Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.
I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.
The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.
How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Have you test that option 2: Dynamic addressing, no edited hosts file, IPv6 disabled?
I just test that with Lumia 950. It create mobile hotspot, PC connected to it, Lumia give IPv4 address and internet runs fine.
This doesn't respond to the mobile phone hotspot issue.
I have two suggestions:
One another user here have found this same, and some users are already reported that this is working: I did this and restore original hosts file back and network is still running.
Thanks for that, but ...
I have now had a long conversation with Optus to find out how to put all the computers onto static IP addresses (I have four altogether). And I have checked the printer still works. Now each computer can access all the others.
However, they are all somewhat erratic in display in Windows Explorer. Sometimes they show all computers and sometimes they don’t – sometimes they show in the ‘Network’ window of Windows Explorer and sometimes they only show in the menu of WE. But I have put shortcuts on each Desktop so I can access them. So that part is finally working.
But that has caused another problem. When away from home I use my mobile as a hotspot and that has always worked fine. However, now if I set up the hotspot each computer will link to it but none can access the internet – it just says ‘no internet, secured’. The phone accesses the internet fine when the hotspot is active, but not the computers.
What am I supposed to do about that!?
It would appear that your modem is not keeping your computers on a static IP address for your LAN. Therefore windows ends up using the wrong IP address/computer name to resolve the connection.
Most modem/routers keep a static IP to computer name or MAC address table so that whenever a particular MAC address/computer name disconnects and reconnects it always receives the same IP address on the Local Area Network. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. It depends on the specific modem/routers setup.
What worked for me was getting into my modem/routers settings page and making sure it kept a static IP address for each computer. To get to the modem/routers setup page you have to be connected to the router and enter a specific IP address. It varies by manufacturer. Look up your model's info on the manufacturer's website. Some modem/routers will have a sticker with the info attached to the unit, itself.
Once you get the IP addresses for your computers on your LAN to stop bouncing around and use Pauli O's tips for setting up a Table in hosts (which you have already done), you should get solid Network connections on your LAN. Anyway, that's what worked for me. Currently running Win10 1803 build 17134.112. Oh yeah, you probably have to reboot all computers and the modem/router once you get the settings changed.
Crazy that regular users have to try all these settings and adjustments just to get home networking running.
Good luck. Let us know how things work out.