Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T23:49:57+00:00

    If I am sounding frustrated, bear in mind that I have been through a whole lot of investigation to put the computers on static IP addresses and now I am being told not to.

    So, I have gone through all the suggestions above and have gone back to automatic IP addresses on all computers and the full range on the home modem. I have checked all the advanced sharing options and all the changes to the Services mentioned. I have restarted the modem and all the computers. The home network now appears to be working.

    In order to connect to the internet through the mobile phone hotspot I had to return to the IPv4 settings to again make it get the DNS settings automatically. So I am now apparently back to what the situation was before Microsoft deleted the HomeGroup.

    I find it extraordinary that Ms can just delete the Homegroup with no warning and no advice on what effect it will have on home computer networks. This has wasted hours of my time and considerable grey hairs and I am comparatively computer literate. What it has done to those less familiar I hate to think.

    No marks Ms.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T01:42:58+00:00

    The mobile phone hot spot and your home network are 2 different things.

    Private network at Home and Public Network connecting to someone's business internet.

    Set up your modem/router this way.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

    Then follow this to learn everything about Home Networking.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

    Now I am taking another screen shot before Squirrel Nuts Discriminates and Violates the Forum Policies by removing others comments for no reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T18:46:50+00:00

    Pauli O: Dynamic IP addresses on the router was what caused the problems in the first place

    No, not really. The *change* of IP address caused your problem. Normally, a router will always reassign the same IP address to the same PC. If it didn't do that for one PC there was a problem either on the PC or the router (troubleshoot that, maybe a clash of addresses or a malfunctioning network card).

    Your other problem with the mobile hotspot is just the opposite. Because you stopped using DHCP it cannot assign you a working IP address anymore. You may be able to fix that by checking what net and internal gateway your hotspot device uses and then use the same net and gateway address on your router and home network.

    Might be easier to go back to DHCP for the home network and find out why the address always changes on one device after a reboot/hibernate (if that really is the case or just an assumption on your part).

    You will hit the same problem each time you want to enter another WLAN and you have no DHCP.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more