Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T22:42:35+00:00

    Thanks. Another bit to add to the mix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-04T15:31:00+00:00

    Glad you got it going with all the "distraction".

    not all computers will show in the Network window

    you can check out the network connection/adapter, properties, ipv4, properties and check under advanced, WINS, whether NetBIOS is enabled. NetBIOS is necessary to help the PCs "discover" each other on the net.

    There should also be a second tab "alternative configuration" on the ipv4 properties. This may help you with the hotspot in case you run into trouble with it in the future. Don't use it unless you really have trouble ;-)

    Also, make sure that your network is set as a "private network" (and not a public one) in Network Connections.

    In case you use accounts with admin privileges you may also be interested in administrative shares: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_share

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-04T03:15:29+00:00

    Nice to see that you get your problem solved.

    If you have more question, just follow my link in my first posting and ask.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments