Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T23:28:47+00:00

    No leaving modem on is not like leaving the lights on.

    Every time you turn the power off, you reset the modem settings and the connection to your ISP. Then it takes time to sync with your ISP to set your internet service up again and then your network probably is needing a reboot of all PC's on your network.

    You do not need to set Static IP's. Your system and Modem from ISP is set to WAN DHCP Dynamic DNS and Dynamic IP Addressing.

    Your PC adapters are set to Automatic IP Addressing for IPV4 and IPV6. Sometimes, disabling IPV6 might fix your issues.

    Every time you make changes to Network, you need to reboot modem and restart all PC's. Unplugging your modem is 1/2 your problem, if not all of it.

    I do this everyday for 17 years for homes and businesses. I believe you are creating your own problems here.

    Here is one of my article links from my old deleted account here and more links below on it to help you with networks.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T22:40:41+00:00

    Thanks. Firstly, I wouldn't leave my modem on 24/7; that is rather like leaving a light on all the time and is a waste of electricity.

    Yes, the modem is now set to get IP addresses automatically. The only way I have been told to set static addresses is by changing the IPv4 settings on each computer. But that then stops me from accessing my mobile phone's hotspot (I need to do that from time to time as my landline is 3Mbs at maximum - the phone is 30Mbs plus!).

    You talk of a setting in the modem which will fix static addresses for the various computers (MAC address?). Can you tell me how to do that?

    Under Advanced Setup on the modem I have:

    LAN, NAT, Security, Parental Control, DNS, UPnP.

    Under Wireless WI0 on the modem I have:Basic, Security, MAC Filter, Advanced and Station Info.

    Are there any settings I can use so that the modem always uses the same address for each computer? That would surely enable the network to be constant each time I start up?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T06:26:16+00:00

    Here is a Network that has the v1803 issues with PC's being able to be seen or discovered in the network folder, but you can NOT connect to them here.

    so you use the shortcut you created with IP ADDRESS as shown here on my network.

    You see the 3 PC's by Name, which can not connect that way. Then you see (Left Hand Pane) the one showing the IP address, that is to access FVTRAPPERS PC using the shortcut. I have accessed FVTRAPPERS Public folder

    Network>>\192.168.0.7\Public

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T06:20:26+00:00

    OK, using a shortcut to the IP address (not the computer address) gets me access, but does not connect the network (e.g. I can read the files, but if a program tries to open a file on the other computer using the computer name it says it is not accessible). So that is not a solution.

    I close the lid on each computer when leaving them and the setting is for each to hibernate. It also turns off the modem. When I return I open the lid and press the power button to bring each back from hibernation. I wait for both to boot up completely and for the modem to boot up and try to connect. Failure. The ONLY solution I have found is to restart the one that won’t connect.

    So I don’t understand your suggestion.

    No, you are confused is the issue.

    First, You do not turn off your modem. You leave it on and connected. No wonder why you have problems to begin with.

    Next, The computer address is the IP address.

    You either connect through the Network folder which uses PC HOST NAME.

    EXAMPLE:

    JOHNS-PC

    Network Folder>>Select Johns PC

    and His Public Folder and any other items he manually selected will be shared from there.

    But I can almost bet you have the v1803 connection issue.

    EXAMPLE:

    JOHNS-PC in the Modem has assigned the IP Address 192.168.0.7

    You create the shortcut on desktop using \192.168.0.7

    when you click on that shortcut

    Johns PC will be accessed, but it will show in Network Location

    \192.168.0.7

    from here you see the same Public folder of JOHNS-PC and any other manual shares.

    if you select the public folder, it will show

    \192.168.0.7\Public

    I also would never use hibernate. I would use sleep.

    Here you contradict yourself:

    Then you state you could connect to the PC using the IP address But if a program tries to open a file on the other computer using the computer name it says it is not accessible. If you connect using the IP address shortcut, then all items you select on the other PC from there will work. However, only if the items being shared are set up properly to share. Or you will get the "NOT ACCESSIBLE"

    You will also get the not accessible message if you have password sharing on and have not entered your user and password when connecting to another PC and then not confirming on the other PC to allow access to it.

    If you use to use Homegroup, then you need to learn how to set up sharing using advanced sharing method and setting security, users and permissions.

    And what program are you trying to run from PC B on PC A that will not run ???

    This is all very easy. If you go read my article, it is drawn out in easy simple steps.

    Also, turning your modem off, you are going to have problems. leave it on. If anything, disconnect the LAN cable or wireless connection if you must. I do not see why you need to, the PC's are hibernating, sleeping or OFF.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T02:42:35+00:00

    use shortcuts with PC IP addresses. Works every time.

    Maybe your PC needing restarted has another OEM software settings for the adapter to keep the connection. Does the PC being restarted lose its internet connection too??????

    If not, then are you using sleep or hibernate on the PC.

    You talk about it not being able to WAKE UP when you call for it by trying to connect to it. Are you trying to wake it using the Network Folder and selecting that PC ????

    I suspect you have the v1803 intermittent connection issue between PC''s not being able to connect to each others using the Network folder or PC Host name to try and connect.

    If you have an internet connection and each has an assigned IP Address in the Modem Device Table, then them not connecting to each other is one thing.

    Then ONLY not being able to connect to each other after one or both PC's have set idle for awhile in sleep or hibernate mode could be a different thing. When you state WAKE, then that is not just trying to access another PC. That is trying to access one that is sleeping, OFF or hibernating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments