Home network computers aren't shown in Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2018-06-24T06:56:05+00:00

I have two laptops A and B. They were connected wirelessly through my router on a HomeGroup and it worked fine. In the latest Win 10 upgrade the HomeGroup has been deleted and since then I have had terrible trouble connecting them.

I hibernate the laptops each night. When I open them in the morning, Laptop A can see and access laptop B in the Network folder of Windows Explorer. But laptop B doesn't always see laptop A and I can't get it to see it (not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar).

Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message.

I have tried all the sharing, credential and other options to make sure they are all consistent - nothing changes.

The ONLY way I have found for laptop B to access A is to restart laptop B (NOT A). Then it will automatically connect to A.

How do I get back to the old HomeGroup system of both computers accessing one another automatically when I wake them up?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

67 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-07-04T03:15:29+00:00

    Nice to see that you get your problem solved.

    If you have more question, just follow my link in my first posting and ask.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T23:55:29+00:00

    Sounds like you have made as much progress as anyone with the current state of Win10. Good job and way to persevere. It's always great to see people get the results they need. I just wish it hadn't come to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T20:13:36+00:00

    @Seahawks65,

    Your advice is sound up until the time there is a power failure. Where I live that is quite often. Once Roger gets everything set correctly it shouldn't be a problem. All the correct settings that maintain network connections and sharing capability, should be retained through a power off. Just like a computer retains the info to properly connect when it is powered off.

    @Roger_Sawkins,

    With that said Roger, once you do get everything set properly I would also advise not turning off the IP providers router on a daily basis. I leave mine on 24 hours. Just don't be afraid that everytime you power it off, or it loses power due to some other reason, that you will have to spend an inordinate amount of time resetting everything. All of your computers and the router should retain all these settings.

    When my IP providers router is powered off it can take up to 10 minutes for it to reestablish a network path and another 5 after that for the Wi-Fi to become active. My sub-router then takes another 5 minutes to establish connections to the IP provider's router.

    So I am saying the same thing Seahawks65 is saying, but I think for a different reason for powering off the router daily. Maybe not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T07:25:38+00:00

    This is what mine looks like:

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-06-24T07:23:22+00:00

    Removing Homegroup from Windows 1803 caused problems for networking.

    "(not even by putting \laptopnamein the address bar)."

    "Sometimes laptop B does show laptop A but when I try to access it I get a 'Windows can't connect" message."

    These are typical symptoms in latest Windows update. 

    To get you PC's to visible under File Explorer network section then most important part is to start some required services.

    Push Win Key and type "Services", locate those services, start them and set Start type to Automatic (Delayed Start). 

    Services are:

       - Function Discovery Provider Host

       - Function Discovery Resource Publication

       - SSDP Discovery

    • UPnP Device Host

    For that  "\*laptopname"*don't work issue see Step 6 on my example.

    Find more details about sharing from example how I have setup my network to work with Win 10 1803.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/homegroup-removed-how-to-get-network-sharing-work/01277332-2916-4a68-853a-116696b20743

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments