Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this hardware message during repair install

Anonymous
2018-08-24T03:20:19+00:00

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Ultimate which came pre-installed on the system, but every time I run windows setup, it gets 99% done, and is at the completing setup phase and suddenly pops up with a message saying windows can not be run on my current hardware. Setup then does a rollback of widows. This is absolutely ridiculous.... I am attempting to reinstall the SAME version of windows that was already on the system! Windows 7 Ultimate has been on the system since the day it rolled off the factory assembly line. I have triple checked to make sure the image I am using to do a repair install is x64. I have checked to make sure the image is not corrupted by doing a test install on a fresh drive in another PC. that time I got as far as asking for the license key before I stopped (because I didn't have a license for that PC).  I did find a support article on the dell support site surprisingly enough (why not the M$ support site too?) that said to press shift+F10 and start c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe manually. which I tried, but when I started msoobe manually, I got as far as the screen that askes me about default IE security settings, then the screen went almost black. anyone just seeing the screen might think that the backlight had just turned off. you could dimly see the dialogs on the scree showing, but not well enough to see what you could select. the only thing that was clearly visible, and proved that the backlight for the display was indeed still active, was the mouse cursor was still clear as day. I tried restarting my pc, hoping I could pick up where I left off, but windows setup did a rollback instead. I don't know if a recent update is causing this, or if it is caused by the damage to windows I am trying to repair. I have never ever, in all  my years of using windows encountered this message.  the fact that it appears to not have an error code associated with it makes it all that much harder to diagnose. what can I do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T03:35:28+00:00

    Hi,

    I installed your ISO as a "Upgrade" over the Win 7 Ultimate SP1 I was running...

    There was no "Repair" option...

    It was successful, but it had issues... For one thing IE11 wouldn't install and I couldn't read the forum pages with IE8...

    I reloaded my Image of Win 7 which is from a much older ISO I think...

    That might make a difference...

    This particular image did not have all cumulative updates installed...

    That might make a difference also...

    I will try again with all cumulative updates installed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T05:23:30+00:00

    Hi,

    I used your ISO to upgrade a fully updated Win 7 Ultimate SP1 image...

    This again completed successfully...

    I actually got IE11 to install this time... It took a couple of IE8 updates, and possibly a "Platform Update" to get it to install...

    BTW... The original fully updated Win 7 has a build number of 6.1.7601.24214...

    After running your ISO and "Upgrading" it is now 6.1.7601.17514...

    It went backwards, but needs about 175 more Windows Updates...

    BTW... On both "Upgrades" I choose to "Ask Me Later" when asked about Windows Updates... Are you allowing your "Repair" to try and install 175-200 updates all at once ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T07:02:40+00:00

    Hi,

    I've done a 3rd attempt that was successful...

    This time with a build almost identical to your's, which downloads as...

    Win7_Ult_SP1_English_COEM_x64...

    The one I used is titled Win7_Ult_SP1_English_x64...

    I have not yet tried the Digital River X17-59465_x64 Ultimate 7 SP1-U...

    From what I can find, I used X15-37374 for my original installation, but I can't find the ISO...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T21:07:02+00:00

    My machine has the good old fashioned CMOS/BIOS. It came out right on the cusp of when the UEFI was starting to get introduced. If I had wait 6 months or so to buy my system it would probably have UEFI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T22:22:37+00:00

    Legacy is much easier to deal with when there are problems...

    I was thinking... When I did these Upgrades\Repairs, I skipped the step to enter the License... Selected "Ask Later" when prompted...

    I eventually then Activated it once everything was done...

    I know you mentioned that you were not having much luck ever getting to that point..

    I also selected to Allow Checking For Updates, or whatever the wording is on one of the first screens...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments