Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this hardware message during repair install

Anonymous
2018-08-24T03:20:19+00:00

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Ultimate which came pre-installed on the system, but every time I run windows setup, it gets 99% done, and is at the completing setup phase and suddenly pops up with a message saying windows can not be run on my current hardware. Setup then does a rollback of widows. This is absolutely ridiculous.... I am attempting to reinstall the SAME version of windows that was already on the system! Windows 7 Ultimate has been on the system since the day it rolled off the factory assembly line. I have triple checked to make sure the image I am using to do a repair install is x64. I have checked to make sure the image is not corrupted by doing a test install on a fresh drive in another PC. that time I got as far as asking for the license key before I stopped (because I didn't have a license for that PC).  I did find a support article on the dell support site surprisingly enough (why not the M$ support site too?) that said to press shift+F10 and start c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe manually. which I tried, but when I started msoobe manually, I got as far as the screen that askes me about default IE security settings, then the screen went almost black. anyone just seeing the screen might think that the backlight had just turned off. you could dimly see the dialogs on the scree showing, but not well enough to see what you could select. the only thing that was clearly visible, and proved that the backlight for the display was indeed still active, was the mouse cursor was still clear as day. I tried restarting my pc, hoping I could pick up where I left off, but windows setup did a rollback instead. I don't know if a recent update is causing this, or if it is caused by the damage to windows I am trying to repair. I have never ever, in all  my years of using windows encountered this message.  the fact that it appears to not have an error code associated with it makes it all that much harder to diagnose. what can I do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-24T20:00:41+00:00

    Hi,

    What was the source of the ISO you are using now ?

    I haven't had the chance to test anything yet, but the ISO I will be using is in fact from Digital River...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-24T23:11:27+00:00

    its not a dell machine. it's A Toshiba. I just happened to find a support article for my issue on the dell site. It is a laptop. as for how old the HDD is, the primary SSHD is less than 6 months old. while the secondary HDD is 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-24T23:25:48+00:00

    it is from a Microsoft server. I don't have the exact address though. Normally, you would go to the Microsoft media page and download the iso. but since in all their wisdom, M$ still doesn't allow us OEM customers to download the iso's, I had to use HeiDOC.net's Windows .iso downloader. I downloaded the the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 COEM English image

    PS found link for the image

    https://software-download.microsoft.com/db/Win7_Ult_SP1_English_COEM_x64.iso?t=22b7d5aa-b67a-447c-b45c-9aac39a1e603&e=1535229120&h=22871650c72987d9a4caeadaf1157c4d

    (link expires 8/25/2018 8:31:59 PM UTC)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T00:48:17+00:00

    I am downloading it now, so I can test both ISO's...

    This might take awhile...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T01:06:18+00:00

    BTW... are you using UEFI Bios or Legacy on your machine... It might make a difference... I'm guessing Legacy, but have seen Windows 7 machines using UEFI...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments