Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this hardware message during repair install

Anonymous
2018-08-24T03:20:19+00:00

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Ultimate which came pre-installed on the system, but every time I run windows setup, it gets 99% done, and is at the completing setup phase and suddenly pops up with a message saying windows can not be run on my current hardware. Setup then does a rollback of widows. This is absolutely ridiculous.... I am attempting to reinstall the SAME version of windows that was already on the system! Windows 7 Ultimate has been on the system since the day it rolled off the factory assembly line. I have triple checked to make sure the image I am using to do a repair install is x64. I have checked to make sure the image is not corrupted by doing a test install on a fresh drive in another PC. that time I got as far as asking for the license key before I stopped (because I didn't have a license for that PC).  I did find a support article on the dell support site surprisingly enough (why not the M$ support site too?) that said to press shift+F10 and start c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe manually. which I tried, but when I started msoobe manually, I got as far as the screen that askes me about default IE security settings, then the screen went almost black. anyone just seeing the screen might think that the backlight had just turned off. you could dimly see the dialogs on the scree showing, but not well enough to see what you could select. the only thing that was clearly visible, and proved that the backlight for the display was indeed still active, was the mouse cursor was still clear as day. I tried restarting my pc, hoping I could pick up where I left off, but windows setup did a rollback instead. I don't know if a recent update is causing this, or if it is caused by the damage to windows I am trying to repair. I have never ever, in all  my years of using windows encountered this message.  the fact that it appears to not have an error code associated with it makes it all that much harder to diagnose. what can I do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T01:09:43+00:00

    Hi,

    Error logs are usually a bit over my head, but our Dell article mentions removing the installation media after running the MSOOBE.exe, and the installation should continue...

    Dell is also mentioning the command...

    Type cd c:\windows\system32\oobe and press Enter...

    I'm actually not sure if this is in reference to a physical CD\DVD drive, or something else...

    I'm wondering if you are running the repair from a extracted ISO, with a Virtual Drive, or a Flash Drive or something.. I ran the ISO with a Virtual drive..

    One thing you might try would be to reinstall the drivers for your Intel Chipset... The SATA Controller in particular...

    BTW... My machine has a second 3rd Party SATA Controller that needs it's own drivers..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T23:51:13+00:00

    I think I found where the point in the logs where windows setup fails, and the entry matches what is listed in the linked M$ support article (link at bottom of this post), but the only problem is, this issue is supposed to be solved with SP1. also while my system does have an intel storage controller, it DOES NOT support RAID.

    2018-08-25 00:36:09, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\scecli.dll,SceSysPrep', returned error code 1208[gle=0x000003e5]

    2018-08-25 00:36:09, Info                  IBS    Callback_Specialize: Internal Providers Specialized Failed. System can't proceed to handle Internal Providers

    2018-08-25 00:36:09, Info                  IBS    Callback_Specialize: Specialize return: [1208]

    2018-08-25 00:36:09, Error      [0x060435] IBS    Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x4b8

    2018-08-25 00:36:09, Info       [0x0640ae] IBSLIB PublishMessage: Publishing message [Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware.]

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2466753/windows-setup-could-not-configure-windows-on-this-computer-s-hardware

    https://www.dell.com/support/article/gu/en/gubiz1/sln293812/-windows-setup-could-not-configure-to-run-on-this-computers-hardware-error-during-windows-7-or-windows-10-installation?lang=en

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T22:40:56+00:00

    I skipped the license as well, but to get there, I had to start MSOOBE.exe manually. and then after a few dialog screens the screen got super dimmed.

    I am looking at the logs that got left behind in 'C:$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther' particularly the setupact.log an setuperr.log files. I am not really sure what I am looking for, however. would you be willing to take a look at them slance310?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T22:22:37+00:00

    Legacy is much easier to deal with when there are problems...

    I was thinking... When I did these Upgrades\Repairs, I skipped the step to enter the License... Selected "Ask Later" when prompted...

    I eventually then Activated it once everything was done...

    I know you mentioned that you were not having much luck ever getting to that point..

    I also selected to Allow Checking For Updates, or whatever the wording is on one of the first screens...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T21:07:02+00:00

    My machine has the good old fashioned CMOS/BIOS. It came out right on the cusp of when the UEFI was starting to get introduced. If I had wait 6 months or so to buy my system it would probably have UEFI.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments