Hi,
I got a file not found error with your dir /a:d /s windows.old command...
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64
I am trying to do a repair install of Windows 7 Ultimate which came pre-installed on the system, but every time I run windows setup, it gets 99% done, and is at the completing setup phase and suddenly pops up with a message saying windows can not be run on my current hardware. Setup then does a rollback of widows. This is absolutely ridiculous.... I am attempting to reinstall the SAME version of windows that was already on the system! Windows 7 Ultimate has been on the system since the day it rolled off the factory assembly line. I have triple checked to make sure the image I am using to do a repair install is x64. I have checked to make sure the image is not corrupted by doing a test install on a fresh drive in another PC. that time I got as far as asking for the license key before I stopped (because I didn't have a license for that PC). I did find a support article on the dell support site surprisingly enough (why not the M$ support site too?) that said to press shift+F10 and start c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe manually. which I tried, but when I started msoobe manually, I got as far as the screen that askes me about default IE security settings, then the screen went almost black. anyone just seeing the screen might think that the backlight had just turned off. you could dimly see the dialogs on the scree showing, but not well enough to see what you could select. the only thing that was clearly visible, and proved that the backlight for the display was indeed still active, was the mouse cursor was still clear as day. I tried restarting my pc, hoping I could pick up where I left off, but windows setup did a rollback instead. I don't know if a recent update is causing this, or if it is caused by the damage to windows I am trying to repair. I have never ever, in all my years of using windows encountered this message. the fact that it appears to not have an error code associated with it makes it all that much harder to diagnose. what can I do?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
I got a file not found error with your dir /a:d /s windows.old command...
Hi,
I have done six of the Upgrade\Repairs and they all have worked the same...
Even with different ISOs...
I haven't actually looked for a Windows.old until you mentioned it, but the two I have just done both have a missing Windows.old…
I'm back on Win 10 at the moment, but I saved an image of the last upgrade, so I will check on the "dir /a:d /s windows.old" later and let you know...
Did you get any results from it ?
foud the missing files from the previous install..... like you I didn't have the usual windows.old, but I too had the locked $inplace.~tr and $windows.~q directories. I decided to tell windows to unlock them so I could inspect the contents, and sure enough, all the files that should have been put into windows.old were divided up into those two directories. I don't know why windows setup didn't create the windows.old directory and transfer the files into it for the both of us.....
I wasn't sure if I would, but now I am definitely going to try doing another repair install to see if the directory is still not getting created. this is very odd.... like I said a post or two above, the windows.old thing has been apart of windows setup upgrades since at least win95, so why it is not getting created for us is strange. I have at least 1tb of free space free, so it isn't a matter of setup running out of working room on the drive.
try typig this command at an admin cmd prompt and tell me if you get any results -- "dir /a:d /s windows.old"
Hi,
I don't recall ever seeing a Windows.old folder in Windows 7, but then I don't do many upgrades\repairs with it either... I have a bunch of images from various points in time that I just reload..
There is definitely a Windows.old folder after upgrading from 7 to 8 or 10...
I just ran another upgrade\repair... The folders I mentioned before are back, and are not disappearing this time... Maybe because I didn't disturb them..
BTW... 172 Important Updates @ 1.2GB...
Including two monthly Rollups , and two .Net Framework Rollups...