Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T20:02:39+00:00

    When I go to Windows Hello it states that it is not available on this machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-18T21:38:12+00:00

    Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

    Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

    Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

    Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

    Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

    Click "Dismiss"

    After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

    I am not given a "dismiss" option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-23T00:18:16+00:00

    Is microsoft the stupidest company in the world?  How many people have to tell MS to stop changing the way their computer works.  I bought a computer I liked because I liked the way it works.  Now MS keeps trying to change the way it works.  Stop that.  All most of us ever want are security updates and bug fixes not functional changes.  

    Or is Microsoft truly the dumbest company in history since Bill Gates quit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-28T23:38:26+00:00

    I tried DaveM121's solution and it didn't work for me.  Kept asking for PIN upon startup.

    But I found something that worked for me.

    1. apply any Windows OS updates (reboot)
    2. Go through with the Windows Hello set-up - that is give it what it wants... (ie. Picture and PIN)  then reboot
    3. Go into settings/sign-in options and under FACE select REMOVE  (then reboot)

      - I found there was no need to remove the PIN  - I forced PASSWORD log-in with the steps below...  Try logging in first to see if it's working for you, if all good, then don't bother with the next steps...

    If you're somewhat technical and comfortable in RegEdit (users be warned - back up registry before any changes)

    1. To figure out what SID matches to what user, click on the start button and just type wmic

    1a.  from the command prompt (wmic: root\cli>) type:  useraccount get name,sid

        - remember the last 3 or 4 digits after the last dash and you'll need that on the next step

    2.Go to regedit and locate at:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserTile

    3.In the right pane, find the SID (you determined in step 1) and double click it to modify the value.

    Change the value to whatever default sign-in option  you want (ie. PIN/Picture/Password/Fingerprint):

    PIN: {D6886603-9D2F-4EB2-B667-1971041FA96B}

    Picture Logon: {2135F72A-90B5-4ED3-A7F1-8BB705AC276A}

    Password: {60B78E88-EAD8-445C-9CFD-0B87F74EA6CD}

    Fingerprint Logon: {BEC09223-B018-416D-A0AC-523971B639F5}

    4.Restart your computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments