Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-18T19:16:31+00:00

    Thanks, but I don't see what you're describing. It ask for the pin in the box then only offers the hotlink "I forgot my PIN".  The only icons I have are in the lower right hand corner for - power, narrator and wifi.  Am I overlooking it?  Even when I attempt to disable the pin within the 'sign-in' options by saying 'i forgot my pin' it'll still request it at log in and not accept me closing out the window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-18T19:51:00+00:00

    Hi also followed - 

    Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC 

    Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray. 

    Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in' 

    Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't. 

    Click "Dismiss" 

    After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

    However, at start up it reads...something happened to you pin....reset.  It doesn't allow logging in with my PW.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-21T15:35:16+00:00

    Hello Euan

    Try the steps in the article I recently wrote. Especially don't forget the step in the Red text colour. This should do the trick for you :). Let me know!

    Windows 10 Cancel and Remove the PIN prompt

    Hope this helps you get rid of the annoyance :) 

    That does not work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-05T18:55:13+00:00

    This did NOT work. What next, I have tried many things and non stop the crap. Microsoft software say my computer is not able to use Hello.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments