Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-24T22:40:12+00:00

    This does not work AT ALL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-13T16:34:38+00:00

    I went through the set-up for FACE and PIN and went into Windows Defender settings, clicked on Account Protection and went to the Windows Hello option and turned it off, just uncheck the box, that seemed to work for me, hopefully this doesn't keep happening every time there's a Windows update.  However, if you are stuck with having to use a PIN, there is an option to check a box when creating, so that you can use both letters and numbers, so when I did create the PIN I was able to use what I have for my password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-13T16:03:58+00:00

    I have the same version of Windows 10 Home 1803 and those directions did not work for me  Is there any other suggestions for fixing this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T12:26:29+00:00

    Can't do this as it tells me my device isn't compatible, yet still keeps pestering me to create a pin every time I try to log in. 

    Any way to remove this rubbish that doesn't involve starting the set up process first?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments