Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-13T23:52:28+00:00

    And my decision to switch to mac got that much *#@cking easier.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-17T15:33:01+00:00

    I finally went over to the dark side and created a PIN. Got tired of fighting it.  But thanks for the info

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-17T08:06:54+00:00

    Hello Euan

    Try the steps in the article I recently wrote. Especially don't forget the step in the Red text colour. This should do the trick for you :). Let me know!

    Windows 10 Cancel and Remove the PIN prompt

    Hope this helps you get rid of the annoyance :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-16T02:49:46+00:00

    Hi Mareon,

    when you boot Win 10 there are 2 options shown on the login screen as icon/pictures; the left one with about 9 dots is to add/use a PIN, the other is to use a password, if you select the password login it remembers the selection and login without the request to configure a password. That is enough to reduce the issue to  manageable issue.

    Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments