Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

Anonymous
2018-06-08T19:27:52+00:00

I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it, I like using my password and I find this incredibly annoying and intrusive; it takes me an extra 30 seconds to log in because I have to jump through a dozen hoops to skip the pin creation. How do I disable the pin feature on Windows 10? I don't want it to ever prompt me to create a pin again.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.2K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-06-08T19:52:01+00:00

Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

Click "Dismiss"

After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-29T14:31:35+00:00

    WibboPibbo Thanks! I was looking for a registry or other plausible solution. Most if what I have seen are workarounds that may or may not work for some, for a period of time, but I would expect the next batch of bugs AKA "update" to wipe much of that out. 

    I will try it on the user with the problem. 

    Do you think just the registry fix would work? 

    I think I will try that and then go through all the steps if that doesn't work.

    Had a guy with a Surface Pro that he set up for image login... that was a mistake! I can not even tell you what we did to get past that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-18T21:38:12+00:00

    Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

    Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

    Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

    Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

    Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

    Click "Dismiss"

    After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

    I am not given a "dismiss" option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T19:28:10+00:00

    Hello Euan

    Try the steps in the article I recently wrote. Especially don't forget the step in the Red text colour. This should do the trick for you :). Let me know!

    Windows 10 Cancel and Remove the PIN prompt

    Hope this helps you get rid of the annoyance :) 

    I previously dismissed the Windows Hello on the Window's Defender screen. Now, it says "Windows Hello is not available on your device"... but it keeps asking me to set a PIN on startup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T19:06:34+00:00

    Hi Francis, this is a bug in version 1803 . . .

    Cancel the PIN prompt and login to your PC

    Go to Windows Defender Security Centre icon on the tray.

    Under 'Account Protection' go to 'Set up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in'

    Click 'Set-up', it will prompt you to set up a pin - don't.

    Click "Dismiss"

    After that, there should be no more prompting at startup

    This does not disable it. I have gone to 'Account Protection', 'Set Up Windows Hello for faster, more secure sign-in', clicked 'Set Up' but input no PIN, then 'Dismiss'. 

    It now says everything is OK, no actiion needed (there was a warning before I did this)... but still get the blue screen asking to set up PIN every time I need to log in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments