how to fix bootres.dll is corrupt in windows 10

Anonymous
2018-05-10T23:11:47+00:00

how to fix bootres.dll is corrupt in windows 10

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-28T16:29:36+00:00

    Hello, I had the same issue since yesterday and I just fixed I don't know why and how it works. (I'm french and I found the names of the options in english on howtogeek there will not have comprehension issues I hope) So, when you are in the Recovery screen, you select "See advanced repair options",  then you have 3 options:

    • Continue
    • Troubleshoot
    • Turn off your PC

    You select the second option and you select again the second choice "Advanced options". Then you have 6 options, one of them is "Startup Settings" you select it and reboot the computer. Then you have 9 options, and we need and the seventh option "Disable driver signature enforcement". Windows will load but it took me something like 5 minutes. It was reaaaaaly slow but my computer booted. The only thing left is that I don't know if 10 will still boot if we restart the computer.

    I had the same problem, probably after an update .... This last solution seemed to work. The driver signature enforcement mentioned above did not work for me, so I tried disabling the virus definitions (another option), also no luck, and finally booted into safe mode with networking (another option), and windows then gave me the message that something had gone wrong with an update, and it was uninstalling it. ...My PC now boots again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-05T01:35:34+00:00

    I did the steps but something went horribly wrong and when I reboot - it shows the following error:

    "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on the computer, restart the installation."

    The administrator account shows disabled and when I open up cmd>'oobe' or 'msoobe' do not exist.

    Please suggest next steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-29T01:24:14+00:00

    how to fix bootres.dll is corrupt in windows 10

    Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

    If you get a blue screen with a message saying a file is failed to load or corrupt or not found - just read what it says.

    Sometimes update may break the things and you will face this problem (like I had today), but despite wasted hours of trying everything from youtube and this forum - the solution was simple:

    1. Create Bootable recovery USB drive (from a working PC use the utility to create it or download official one) or use embedded Recovery option if it exists.
    2. Copy the files the message says are corrupt or not found from a working PC with the same OS as the damaged PC onto the (Recovery-in case you had to create one) USB flash drive (the donor OS must be of the same version as the damaged one)
    3. Boot the damaged PC from the Recovery (USB drive)
    4. Run System startup fix

        if it fails - OK, we wanted to see why, so go back to Recovery and find Command Line option (lots of videos on how to run it)

        if it fixes your boot - happy working! 5. In the command line type: type C:\Windows\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt and hit Enter.

    You will see lots of text, so scroll back and note the file names that failed to load (in my case it was 3 files (WdBoot.sys WdFilter.sys and bootres.dll was attempted to load from a wrong path: C:\Windows\boot\Resources\custom\bootres.dll while the original file was at C:\Windows\boot\Resources\bootres.dll) 6. Find the drive letter of your USB disk from command line: 1. run diskpart 2. list vol 3. find your Removable driveand note the letter 4. type exit to return to Command line 7. make a backup of the files you want to replace using xcopy command eg.: xcopy C:\Windows\boot\Resources\custom\bootres.dll C:\Windows\boot\Resources\custom\bootres.dll.bak 8. xcopy <USB disk letter>:&lt;damaged file> [destination] eg.: xcopy G:\bootres.dll C:\Windows\boot\Resources\bootres.dll Note: The letter of my USB drive was G, you may have another 9. Do the step 8 to every damaged file you find in the SrtTrail.txt file 10. Type exit to close Command Line and turn off, then on your PC

    If the problem was in damaged files only the PC will boot as did mine today. No other solutions could help, and the bootres command does not work in Windows 10 after 17xxx version. Do not waste your time with it, you can make more damage (my OEM Recovery partition is now permanently damaged because of damage i made to it or bootres misbehavior).

    I hope this helps.

    BR

    Max

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-04T21:17:51+00:00

    This issue cropped up on my first reboot after the current update (BIOS was first, followed by Win 10 Pro v1803).

    This solution looks, in my way of thinking, the most promising. Reason: it uses all things Microsoft, w/standard commands and restorative properties.

    However, I'd like to hear a second opinion before I make this attempt. Not that I don't trust the provider, but given the challenges I've faced after the updates, I am wounded and crawling at the moment. I really don't need another headache.

    Can some let me know the success rate or at least, one or more others that took the solution defined above (PCR just PCR, 07/16/2018) and all was great afterwards?

    Thank you!

    Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-05T01:14:32+00:00

    (1) I edited that post to say DiskPart, List Vol, is less informative when not booted to Windows.

    (2) I've run BCDBoot, myself, as a test with no ill effect, but had no problem to start with. Of course, you've got to get the partitions right.

    (3) Sadly - I've been in another thread where I came to believe BCDBoot is no cure for this. It may be only a clean install can cure it.

    I'm looking through these for it...

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=bootres.dll&IsSuggestedTerm=false&tab=&isFilterExpanded=false&CurrentScope.ForumName=&CurrentScope.Filter=&ContentTypeScope=#////1

    Search of "Bootres.dll"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments