Your welcome. There are some methods to stop windows updates for the future, tried this solution:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-10-feature-update-why/
i hope the error will never apper again.
Dávid
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
how to fix bootres.dll is corrupt in windows 10
Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Your welcome. There are some methods to stop windows updates for the future, tried this solution:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-10-feature-update-why/
i hope the error will never apper again.
Dávid
I am also having the same problem. I was able to delete the corrupt boot.dll file, although srttrail.txt still shows it s being corrupt - but it is not in the root directory.
I don't know if I've messed anything up, but I have tried most of the solutions here and am not able to solve it at all. I also do not have a bootable image of Windows 10 (or any type of reinstallation media). I was able to pull some data off, but am at risk of losing a bunch of e-mails which are in specific folders. I tried accessing Outlook by accessing the drive by booting with my old drive (Windows 7) and using Explorer to try and open Outlook - but all I got was errors. I was able to open another Outlook Window and get the last 1100 e-mails, but am still missing many important e-mails. (ugh).
So this is a multi-fold question. Is there any hope to get beyond the "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC" or "is there a way to create a bootable disk for WIN 10 by going directly to the windows file in Explorer? or
"Is there a way to open Outlook from the Explorer file" (all I get is an error).
So frustrating as it seems this is a result of the latest updates from Microsoft.
Any and all help is appreciated.
(1) What do you mean you deleted the corrupt bootres.dll file? From where?
(2) Can you boot to Win 10 the way Trevor Seward (MVP) did in here...?...
bootres.dll Issue Partially Preventing Boot
He said, "If I shutdown the machine while Windows attempts to boot (black screen, no logo), then power it back on, it boots successfully." If so, make your backups. Also, create Win 10 Installation media from here...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Download Windows 10
As the site says, match it to your Edition (Pro, Home, etc.), Architecture (64-bit/x64 or 32-bit/x86) & Language of the computer on which it will be used. But that should autofill correctly when making the media using the computer in question.
(3) BTW, Trevor's ultimate solution was to upgrade his BIOS. Your current version shows in MSInfo32 (ask Cortana). Go to the site of your computer manufacturer (BING your System Model also in MSInfo32) to see whether there is one for you.
(4) If (3) fails for you, I want to say Surveillance-NC posted the cure above in this thread. But I'm scared off by others who said it didn't work or was even catastrophic. I wonder whether it was because they didn't identify the correct letter for the Windows partition. It isn't necessarily C: in the recovery environment. Well...
Try to Regenerate your boot files. Here is how to do it in a UEFI system. This may be done from within Windows, actually. If doing it from within the Recovery Environment -- ie., "Choose an Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt" -- ensure the Windows partition is still C: in that environment. If not, use the letter you see in a List Vol...
If you've got more than one letter, Identify your Windows partition by its label, size & that it says "Boot" in the Info column. Note its letter. Your System partition will be FAT32 & says "System" under Info. Note its volume number.
====================================================
Edit 11/4/18: When at the Command Prompt of the Recovery Environment (i.e., not booted to Windows), the Info column shows nothing for the Windows partition. And it shows "Hidden" for the System partition...
Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ------- ---------- --------- --------- --------
Volume 2 C PCR Hard NTFS Partition 930 GB Healthy
Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden
===================================================
So - for me, it would go like this...
DiskPart
Sel Vol 4 << My System volume
Assign Letter=S << Give it letter S:
Exit << Leave DiskPart
B****CDBoot C:\windows /s S: /f UEFI << That fills the System partition (S:) with a new set of boot files
from the Windows partition (C:).
DiskPart
Sel Vol 4
Remove Letter=S << Remove the letter S:
Exit
Note: If you know the UEFI/BIOS to be set to boot in Legacy Mode, then use "/f BIOS" instead of "/f UEFI". If you don't know how it is set, use "/f ALL".
I've omitted the Format command, in case BCDBoot fails to work. BCDBoot will overwrite what is in there anyway.
I did the chkdsk command with the D drive and it seemed to fix the problem after a lengthly repair process.
I used your chkdsk command on the D partition and my computer now boots every time without error. Thank you for the advice. I found the bootres.dll only on the D partition.