Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-27T15:57:09+00:00

    All I did was change "Real-time protection" to "Off", then back to "On".  The notification icon first changed to having a red x and then to the green checkmark.  Problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-03T18:02:48+00:00

    I've spent months on this problem. This finally worked for me ...

    • In the system tray, right-click the Windows Security icon and choose "View security dashboard"
    • Click "Virus & threat protection"
    • Under "Virus & threat protection settings", choose "Manage settings"
    • *Temporarily* switch off "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • Click "Yes" on the User Account Control prompt to confirm each change
    • Click "Dismiss" under "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • The green icon should return
    • Now turn on "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"
    • Click "Yes" on the User Account Control prompt
    • Now choose "Virus & threat protection" and run a Quick scan to be sure you were not compromised by momentarily switching off "Cloud-delivered protection" and "Automatic sample submission"

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T05:27:39+00:00

    I thank you! I had the very same issue and your solution work perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T17:27:58+00:00

    *SOLVED*

    Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

    You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

    This is the real answer. However, it tells me to enable BitLocker. I'm using "HOME" which doesn't even have BitLocker as an option.

    Disabling real-time protection and then re-enabling it has cleared it up. For now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments