Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T15:35:32+00:00

    I found my issue, maybe it will help others. Go into the security center / click on the Shield (left side) Virus and Threat Protection. Look for Ransomware protection. I had a message about setting up OneDrive for file recovery in case of a ransomware attack. I dismissed the alert.

    More info on why you might or might not want to set this up:

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17201660/microsoft-onedrive-files-restore-feature-ransomware-protection

    Thanks soooooo much.  this has been a major pain for a loooooong time.  Why is this answer not at the top of the thread!

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-01T09:45:06+00:00

    Don't listen to that anonymous troll. It's a known bug. Hopefully, it gets patched out soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T07:29:55+00:00

    last update set it a little wonky look in your security windows mine was at the bottom of virus and threat protection for ransomware protection turning on One Drive. I told it to dismiss because I don't need backup and it cleared it up. I guess they disabled the pointing feature when it tells you recommendations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T19:02:19+00:00

    I found my issue, maybe it will help others. Go into the security center / click on the Shield (left side) Virus and Threat Protection. Look for Ransomware protection. I had a message about setting up OneDrive for file recovery in case of a ransomware attack. I dismissed the alert.

    More info on why you might or might not want to set this up:

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17201660/microsoft-onedrive-files-restore-feature-ransomware-protection

    Yeah. Worked here.

    I had to enable Windows Defender Antivirus options as I already have ESET Security installed.

    Once enabled I got the above message and clicked Dismiss.

    After that I again disabled Windows Defender Antivirus options

    Problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments