Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T03:13:18+00:00

    I created a second standard account, and Windows Defender Security Center says "Actions Recommended." When I open it, Security at a glance shows all icons green.

    On my (administrative) account, it says "no actions needed."

    I have Norton Antivirus installed.

    Shane.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-03T06:32:11+00:00

    I found my issue, maybe it will help others. Go into the security center / click on the Shield (left side) Virus and Threat Protection. Look for Ransomware protection. I had a message about setting up OneDrive for file recovery in case of a ransomware attack. I dismissed the alert.

    More info on why you might or might not want to set this up:

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17201660/microsoft-onedrive-files-restore-feature-ransomware-protection

    This really worked thanx man!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-10T14:45:54+00:00

    This was it, thank you! I temporarily enabled periodic scan, dismiss this OneDrive suggestion, and disable periodic scan again. And it goes back to green checkmark. This behavior appears more as a bug for me than a feature. Windows should not force people to visit this RansomWare option if periodic scan is turned off by external virus protection software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-12T00:38:52+00:00

    I did this as well, and the warning sign does goes away (for a while) and then returns. Microsoft need to apply a permanent fix. :( I agree it is annoying to see this notification, and I worry that there may be something I really need to worry about!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments