Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-13T01:33:58+00:00

    *SOLVED*

    Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

    You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

    I finally got a chance to try this and it helped, although I don't think we should have to do this just to find out what the program should be able to tell us.

    My most recent situation:

    My laptop showed the "all green" icon but my desktop showed "actions recommended."

    When I went to Devices under my Microsoft account, it said that both had recommended actions!

    For the laptop it said "Find My Device" was turned off. I went to my laptop and "Find My Device" was turned on, but "Location Services" was off. After I turned on Location I was able to use Find My Device from my Microsoft account, but the Devices still showed actions recommended.

    For the desktop it said that updates were available, even though I had just opened Security And Updates on that computer and it said everything was up-to-date! So I went back to Security And Updates and started a manual check, then let the update (a newer antivirus database file) install.

    The Devices tab on my Microsoft Account didn't show all green on both computers until after I rebooted both computers.

    I really think it should not be this involved just to find out what the recommended actions are and get them dealt with. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-12T22:49:27+00:00

    Thank You That fixed my issue as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-11T06:33:03+00:00

    Thank you for the Ransomware Protection info. It worked for me. I asked Microsoft "technical support...hahaha" They suggested I get rid of my internet protection software....hahaha??? They had no clue about something as straight forward as this. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T12:32:40+00:00

    The problem still crops up from time to time despite my best efforts, hopefully Microsoft will patch the hole in an update

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments