Windows Defender - "Actions recommended" - but what are they???

Anonymous
2018-07-19T04:49:39+00:00

I have been using Windows Defender for years, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that. I haven't had any problems with either one-- but in the last day or two the Windows Defender icon in my system tray has been showing a yellow caution sign on it, and if I hover my mouse pointer over the icon it says "Actions recommended." However, when I open Windows Defender everything shows a green check and says "No action needed." How can I find out what is causing the yellow caution sign? All Windows updates have been downloaded and applied, the Windows Defender is up to date. and the last scan (which was done automatically after the caution sign appeared) shows no threats found.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-10-02T12:35:44+00:00

*SOLVED*

Log into your microsoft account and under Devices section you can see the details why this warning sign occurs.

You need to signed in with you microsoft account to do so.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-15T08:55:37+00:00

    I found my issue, maybe it will help others. Go into the security center / click on the Shield (left side) Virus and Threat Protection. Look for Ransomware protection. I had a message about setting up OneDrive for file recovery in case of a ransomware attack. I dismissed the alert.

    More info on why you might or might not want to set this up:

    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/5/17201660/microsoft-onedrive-files-restore-feature-ransomware-protection

    OMG THANK YOU! that was it and that caution box by the shield was driving me nuts! wanted to use One Drive but I gots me own back up server set up with True Image.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-15T03:12:51+00:00

    I had already checked all of the screens, and every option on every screen was checked green and said that no actions were needed, so that wasn't it in my particular case.

    However, the alert on the icon did eventually go away by itself after about three weeks-- I think after the cumulative Windows update that came out last week.

    My biggest complaint was that I get notifications from Windows Defender all the time telling me that my computer was scanned and that no threats were found, yet I never got any notifications telling me about some recommended action, which made the caution sign on the icon and the "actions recommended" tooltip message all the more frustrating.

    As a suggestion for possible improvement, I think it would be extremely helpful if Windows Defender would send you a notification that explicitly states which actions are recommended, rather than simply changing the icon in the system tray to include a caution sign but not give you any clue as to what the recommended actions are.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-18T17:10:32+00:00

    Outatimez,

    Thank you so much for the information, your suggestion worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-25T12:02:19+00:00

    Good question!

    Here's an idea. Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes it:

    How about we ask Cortana to open the Windows Defender Security Center and see what it says?

    Aside from your color scheme and window dimensions, my Windows Defender Security Center looks exactly like that-- all green checks, except for the "Family options."

    And I didn't need to use Cortana-- which I don't use anyway, because I don't have a microphone connected to my computer and don't want one connected to my computer. All I had to do was left-click on the icon that I posted about, the one in my system tray with a caution sign and "Actions recommended" tool tip display.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments