I've been getting this same crash daily (I shutdown at night when I'm done with my PC) since the 2018-05 Cumulative Update came on the 21st of June. The update this week didn't fix it.
Device Census Stopped Working Problem
I have recently noticed when viewing my reliability monitor that every day around the same time 3 am - 4 am, windows shows that a program called "devicecensus.exe" has stopped working and notes it as a "critical event". My question is should I be worried about this and if so what are the potential fixes? Also is this application an integral part of Windows and if I delete it from System32 will it have an effect on my PC in any shape or form?
Thanks in advance for the responses and here are some of the error details if it helps:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: devicecensus.exe
Application Version: 10.0.17134.1
Application Timestamp: 79a09a4b
Fault Module Name: WaaSAssessment.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.1
Fault Module Timestamp: b7ab6594
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000008ee5
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 91f2
Additional Information 2: 91f294f44a03f9fda838805399465eda
Additional Information 3: ada5
Additional Information 4: ada50e612b0ea4dc151ec1a740a42603
Files that help describe the problem
WERInternalMetadata.xml
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-07-12T06:09:47+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-07-07T09:50:46+00:00 I have the same problem but it started after updating to patch level 17134.137. I upgraded my PC from Windows 10 Fall Creators Update to Windows 10 April 2018 Update two weeks ago via Windows Update. The current build after the update was 17134.112. After updating it to build 17134.137, the devicecensus.exe process with faulting module WaaSAssessment.dll crashes every morning when I boot my PC. I hope Microsoft fixes the crashing problem caused by the update in the next cumulative update which might be released on Tuesday or Wednesday next week
-
Anonymous
2018-07-05T06:12:03+00:00 I have this same problem. It's been crashing every day when I turn on my computer.
The problem started with KB4284835, June Cumulative Update, patch level 17134.112.
Reverting to 17134.83 or lower fixes the problem on my machine, but it's only a temporary fix, because can't refuse updates and they're all roll-ups so can't refuse the one part of the update that is screwing up the machine.
Noting the date on your post, I think we may have the same problem.
I have an Nvidia 1080 GTX with the latest drivers, so if Nvidia is the problem, what do I do to fix it?
BTW, you can just disable the task in Task Scheduler. It's the task in Microsoft/Windows/Device Information
Then it won't run. I have no idea what that does to the system though. I'm trying to get the MS guy in my thread to tell me if this is necessary or not.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2018-06-24T19:56:33+00:00 For the above site linked:
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.