"I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected"
That feature rather buggy, right? Often, it ends up unresponsive.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have recently noticed when viewing my reliability monitor that every day around the same time 3 am - 4 am, windows shows that a program called "devicecensus.exe" has stopped working and notes it as a "critical event". My question is should I be worried about this and if so what are the potential fixes? Also is this application an integral part of Windows and if I delete it from System32 will it have an effect on my PC in any shape or form?
Thanks in advance for the responses and here are some of the error details if it helps:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: devicecensus.exe
Application Version: 10.0.17134.1
Application Timestamp: 79a09a4b
Fault Module Name: WaaSAssessment.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.1
Fault Module Timestamp: b7ab6594
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000008ee5
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 91f2
Additional Information 2: 91f294f44a03f9fda838805399465eda
Additional Information 3: ada5
Additional Information 4: ada50e612b0ea4dc151ec1a740a42603
Files that help describe the problem
WERInternalMetadata.xml
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
"I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected"
That feature rather buggy, right? Often, it ends up unresponsive.
I can't believe it! I seem to have managed to fix this pesky problem on two systems in 23 hours! 😁
Someone, please verify this solution.
Hmm... Well, 7th-gen is definitely supported. So, we should rule out the case of CPU exception or unsupported instruction in the old CPUs.
Of course, the systems on which the issue is currently absent both run a BIOS/MBR installation of Windows, both have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip, and neither have Intel Virtualization technology. The troubled system is a UEFI/GPT installation of Windows, does not have a TPM and has Intel Virtualization enabled. Still, the problem once occurred on the laptop, so these differences couldn't be the culprit.
So, I just performed an experiment:
The crash did not occur!
I waited for the check for the search for updates to end. Then I ran "DeviceCensus.exe" again.
The crash still did not occur!
I am not going to celebrate just yet. After all, I managed to reproduce the problem on a naked copy of Windows. So... Let's me know if you guys had success.
In my case it happens on a 1st-gen i5 M520 and a 7th-gen i5 7300U.
On my HP laptop, the problem has disappeared. It is rather newer than my other devices, as it has a 4th-gen Intel Core i5 CPU. Also, on my company system, which is an ancient Core 2 Duo system, the crash does not happen.
But on my main desktop, which has a 3rd-gen Intel Core i7: I reset Windows 10 twice, and then nuked and reinstalled Windows with Microsoft Media Creator, but even on that naked copy of Windows 10 build 17134.191 (nothing installed, not even drivers), the problem can be reproduced as soon as Windows touches Internet. (It can be indefinitely postponed by disabling Internet connection.) It even occurs in Safe Mode.
Clearly, the problem is not caused by Windows edition, FODs, apps, third-party drivers or account type (Microsoft vs. local).
Thanks for the in depth troubleshooting and findings on this; going to test a post results.