Device Census Stopped Working Problem

Anonymous
2018-06-22T23:16:47+00:00

I have recently noticed when viewing my reliability monitor that every day around the same time 3 am - 4 am, windows shows that a program called "devicecensus.exe" has stopped working and notes it as a "critical event". My question is should I be worried about this and if so what are the potential fixes? Also is this application an integral part of Windows and if I delete it from System32 will it have an effect on my PC in any shape or form?

Thanks in advance for the responses and here are some of the error details if it helps:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: devicecensus.exe

Application Version: 10.0.17134.1

Application Timestamp: 79a09a4b

Fault Module Name: WaaSAssessment.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.1

Fault Module Timestamp: b7ab6594

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000008ee5

OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 91f2

Additional Information 2: 91f294f44a03f9fda838805399465eda

Additional Information 3: ada5

Additional Information 4: ada50e612b0ea4dc151ec1a740a42603

Files that help describe the problem

WERInternalMetadata.xml

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-13T18:37:00+00:00

    Sure. Go ahead and ask anything you wish.

    If you want to know how I deleted the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder, it is as easy as issuing the following commands:

    net stop wuauserv

    rd "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" /s

    net start wuauserv

    This is the confirmed solution for me.

    The Disk Cleanup solution has never received a direct confirmation. I ask people to carry it out and they stop pestering me altogether instead of giving me a clear confirmation. They say no news is good news.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-13T18:23:41+00:00

    I can't believe it! I seem to have managed to fix this pesky problem on two systems in 23 hours! 😁

    1. On a desktop computer, the problem was gone after stopping the Windows Update service, deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, and restarting.
    2. On a laptop, I strongly believe the problem was definitely gone after I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected and the system was shutdown at least once.

    Someone, please verify this solution.

    If your desktop circumvention/solution above is still holding, can I get some basic help for my validation?

    Thanks.

    I can confirm that one of the things I did before this problem disappeared on my machine is run Disk Cleanup and clean up Windows Update files.

    I don't know for sure if that did it, but it's a pretty good bet.

    Thanks "R.Hansen_690". You must have been sitting on this thread today.

    I've been reviewing all the history on this devicecensus saga, and the only definitive solution is the previous post from 08/04/2018, from "Fleet Command". Unless I've missed something. I have walked

    through many of your postings, all the way since inception. Even though you've been a frequent

    participant, I don't seem to recall your final victory declaration.

    As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I religiously perform a weekend administrative process that always

    includes storage cleanup. Not only using MS facilities, but supplemented by Ccleaner. As you stated, I also

    always specify "system files" in the process. Since this includes update & dormant OS images, it can be

    somewhat of a recovery gamble. But, I maintain excellent backups as well. Done it for years without any

    problem(s), thus far.

    Back to point, I had requested some basic help from "Fleet Command" mainly just to confirm his steps, and even though running as admin, that I would have sufficient authorization. I'm not a Windows expert,

    and prefer to fully understand a process completely before undertaking. It read like "Fleet Command"

    might have a solution applicable for me.

    I've had this devicecensus problem since 07/11/2018, when I upgraded to 1803. I can't see that anything

    remedial is being done about it, so I want it gone. I had a very clean 1709 system, and now the only

    problem I now have at 1803.

    You seem to imply that it is gone for you? Congratulations on your fortune, I hope. and if so, blessings to

    you that it will not return. However, there does seem to be many here not quite as lucky as you and maybe

    "Fleet Command". I'm just trying to capitalize on that success.

    Thank you, for your visit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-13T17:42:10+00:00

    I can't believe it! I seem to have managed to fix this pesky problem on two systems in 23 hours! 😁

    1. On a desktop computer, the problem was gone after stopping the Windows Update service, deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, and restarting.
    2. On a laptop, I strongly believe the problem was definitely gone after I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected and the system was shutdown at least once.

    Someone, please verify this solution.

    If your desktop circumvention/solution above is still holding, can I get some basic help for my validation?

    Thanks.

    I can confirm that one of the things I did before this problem disappeared on my machine is run Disk Cleanup and clean up Windows Update files.

    I don't know for sure if that did it, but it's a pretty good bet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-13T17:22:12+00:00

    I can't believe it! I seem to have managed to fix this pesky problem on two systems in 23 hours! 😁

    1. On a desktop computer, the problem was gone after stopping the Windows Update service, deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, and restarting.
    2. On a laptop, I strongly believe the problem was definitely gone after I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected and the system was shutdown at least once.

    Someone, please verify this solution.

    If your desktop circumvention/solution above is still holding, can I get some basic help for my validation?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-06T06:54:20+00:00

    That certain bit of cleanup takes a long time to complete. The progress bar remains unchanged, sometimes for a good 30 minutes on old system!

    But I use Process Hacker to find out how far along the process I am. Or if you wish visual feedback, you can use the PowerShell version of that certain type of cleanup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments