Device Census Stopped Working Problem

Anonymous
2018-06-22T23:16:47+00:00

I have recently noticed when viewing my reliability monitor that every day around the same time 3 am - 4 am, windows shows that a program called "devicecensus.exe" has stopped working and notes it as a "critical event". My question is should I be worried about this and if so what are the potential fixes? Also is this application an integral part of Windows and if I delete it from System32 will it have an effect on my PC in any shape or form?

Thanks in advance for the responses and here are some of the error details if it helps:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: devicecensus.exe

Application Version: 10.0.17134.1

Application Timestamp: 79a09a4b

Fault Module Name: WaaSAssessment.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.1

Fault Module Timestamp: b7ab6594

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000008ee5

OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 91f2

Additional Information 2: 91f294f44a03f9fda838805399465eda

Additional Information 3: ada5

Additional Information 4: ada50e612b0ea4dc151ec1a740a42603

Files that help describe the problem

WERInternalMetadata.xml

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T08:02:31+00:00

    The latest update OS Build 17134.228 fixed the problem on my PC. The file that was modified was the faulting module file WaaSAssessment.dll, which was modified of 3rd August 2018.

    Yes, has fixed it for me too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T05:52:33+00:00

    The latest update OS Build 17134.228 fixed the problem on my PC. The file that was modified was the faulting module file WaaSAssessment.dll, which was modified of 3rd August 2018.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-17T16:24:16+00:00

    I have two computers on my home network running Windows 10 Pro version 1803.

    Both of these machines are configured to receive Feature Updates utilizing a significant delay:  the Semi-Annual Channel plus an extra 30-day deferral.  As a result, they didn't receive the version 1803 update until 9 August 2018.  Initially everything seemed to be working perfectly, but then the aforementioned devicecensus.exe error appeared in the Reliability Monitor on a daily basis.

    Based upon recommendations found earlier in this thread, I initiated the built-in Disk Cleanup utility on one of the machines and focused my attention on Windows Updates as well as Previous Windows Installations.  Unfortunately, this method didn't alleviate the problem.

    Finally, when "Patch Tuesday" arrived earlier this week (on 14 August 2018) both computers were updated by KB4343909 to build 17134.228.  One of the computers has only rebooted once since then (due to the update itself), and the other is actually used daily and then shutdown every night.  But in the two days since the update was installed, the devicecensus.exe error has completely disappeared.  Hopefully, this signals the end of it!

    Well then, I'd say you have no further worries. At least not about devicecensus, and related to your report.

    From your report, it seems that your error was corrected via update, without the intervention(s) supplied

    by "Fleet Command", earlier. That is great! Now, all the remaining devicecensus sufferers should be drying

    up as their reliability graphs claw their way back to previous levels.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-17T03:25:58+00:00

    I have two computers on my home network running Windows 10 Pro version 1803.

    Both of these machines are configured to receive Feature Updates utilizing a significant delay:  the Semi-Annual Channel plus an extra 30-day deferral.  As a result, they didn't receive the version 1803 update until 9 August 2018.  Initially everything seemed to be working perfectly, but then the aforementioned devicecensus.exe error appeared in the Reliability Monitor on a daily basis.

    Based upon recommendations found earlier in this thread, I initiated the built-in Disk Cleanup utility on one of the machines and focused my attention on Windows Updates as well as Previous Windows Installations.  Unfortunately, this method didn't alleviate the problem.

    Finally, when "Patch Tuesday" arrived earlier this week (on 14 August 2018) both computers were updated by KB4343909 to build 17134.228.  One of the computers has only rebooted once since then (due to the update itself), and the other is actually used daily and then shutdown every night.  But in the two days since the update was installed, the devicecensus.exe error has completely disappeared.  Hopefully, this signals the end of it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-15T14:15:36+00:00

    08/15/2018 @ ~08:45c

    No problem! I probably should have tried the CMD access.

    Well, I report this with the utmost caution. But I seem to no longer see the devicecensus failure from this morning's activation.

    My yesterday post reflected an after KB4343909(17134.228) install, and subsequently, a retry of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution rebuild from

    "Fleet Command's" direction. Although the original steps for the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution rebuild were performed very carefully, they were

    done pre-KB4343909(17134.228) install. Additionally, the fact that I'm only able to detect the devicecensus failure after morning system activation,

    once a day, may have prevented my notice of the error absence during yesterday's post.

    Whatever, the rationale, as of 2+ hours since my morning activation, I've still not received any devicecensus failure notification.

    Thank you members very much for all the conversation concerning devicecensus, that I could use in looking for a fix for this.

    And especially, thank you to "Fleet Command" for providing the steps necessary to aid/complete the devicecensus problem fix.

    At this moment, I consider the problem fixed. But I will post further if it returns. I'll let others decide if "problem solved" should be checked.

    Thanks you again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments