Device Census Stopped Working Problem

Anonymous
2018-06-22T23:16:47+00:00

I have recently noticed when viewing my reliability monitor that every day around the same time 3 am - 4 am, windows shows that a program called "devicecensus.exe" has stopped working and notes it as a "critical event". My question is should I be worried about this and if so what are the potential fixes? Also is this application an integral part of Windows and if I delete it from System32 will it have an effect on my PC in any shape or form?

Thanks in advance for the responses and here are some of the error details if it helps:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: devicecensus.exe

Application Version: 10.0.17134.1

Application Timestamp: 79a09a4b

Fault Module Name: WaaSAssessment.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.1

Fault Module Timestamp: b7ab6594

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000000000008ee5

OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 91f2

Additional Information 2: 91f294f44a03f9fda838805399465eda

Additional Information 3: ada5

Additional Information 4: ada50e612b0ea4dc151ec1a740a42603

Files that help describe the problem

WERInternalMetadata.xml

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-13T17:22:12+00:00

    I can't believe it! I seem to have managed to fix this pesky problem on two systems in 23 hours! 😁

    1. On a desktop computer, the problem was gone after stopping the Windows Update service, deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, and restarting.
    2. On a laptop, I strongly believe the problem was definitely gone after I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected and the system was shutdown at least once.

    Someone, please verify this solution.

    If your desktop circumvention/solution above is still holding, can I get some basic help for my validation?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-06T06:54:20+00:00

    That certain bit of cleanup takes a long time to complete. The progress bar remains unchanged, sometimes for a good 30 minutes on old system!

    But I use Process Hacker to find out how far along the process I am. Or if you wish visual feedback, you can use the PowerShell version of that certain type of cleanup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-05T10:02:51+00:00

    "I had run Disk Cleanup with the Windows Update Cleanup checkbox selected"

    That feature rather buggy, right? Often, it ends up unresponsive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-04T21:03:46+00:00

    Hmm... Well, 7th-gen is definitely supported. So, we should rule out the case of CPU exception or unsupported instruction in the old CPUs.

    Of course, the systems on which the issue is currently absent both run a BIOS/MBR installation of Windows, both have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip, and neither have Intel Virtualization technology. The troubled system is a UEFI/GPT installation of Windows, does not have a TPM and has Intel Virtualization enabled. Still, the problem once occurred on the laptop, so these differences couldn't be the culprit.

    So, I just performed an experiment:

    1. I stopped the Windows Update service (wuauserv) temporarily
    2. I renamed the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
    3. I restarted the Windows Update service
    4. While Windows was busy checking for updates, I ran "DeviceCensus.exe" manually.

    The crash did not occur!

    I waited for the check for the search for updates to end. Then I ran "DeviceCensus.exe" again.

    The crash still did not occur!

    I am not going to celebrate just yet. After all, I managed to reproduce the problem on a naked copy of Windows. So... Let's me know if you guys had success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-04T19:26:30+00:00

    In my case it happens on a 1st-gen i5 M520 and a 7th-gen i5 7300U.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments