Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 Build 16299.19 Double Login Screen Problem

Anonymous
2017-10-18T23:35:35+00:00

Hello Everyone,

          After the current update to Windows 10 on 10/17/17 Fall Creators Update OS Build 16299.19 1709. I'm now experiencing a little problem that I hope a Microsoft  technical engineer will take note, and issue a FIX in the next cumulative Update. When ever I enter my Password in the login screen, I Have to enter it in twice. It has like a little hang. It does Not have this problem when waking from sleep, Only on Fresh Boot... (start up). 

Also Microsoft: I have sent this problem to your "Feedback Hub" in hopes you will send a Fix.

Edit10/21/17 MicrosoftPlease see my last post to myself at end of this thread for temporary work around???...

Thank-You...

And Best Regards...

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-24T18:43:07+00:00

Hi all,

We are investigating reports of customers being asked to enter their password or PIN twice on the lock screen.

I am confirming the steps Leprechaun J wrote in a previous reply as the correct workaround at this time.

Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

Down in the Privacy sections, toggle off the setting to “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish settings up my device after an update or restart.”

You will not see that second prompt for a password/pin the next time you start up.

Upvote / Follow one of the previously shared Feedback Hub reports to keep up to date with communications about the issue.

Paul…

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-05T12:32:51+00:00

    Hi all,

    We are investigating reports of customers being asked to enter their password or PIN twice on the lock screen.

    I am confirming the steps Leprechaun J wrote in a previous reply as the correct workaround at this time.

    Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

    Down in the Privacy sections, toggle off the setting to “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish settings up my device after an update or restart.”

    You will not see that second prompt for a password/pin the next time you start up.

    Upvote / Follow one of the previously shared Feedback Hub reports to keep up to date with communications about the issue.

    Paul…

    Thank you for your reply Paul. I followed you suggestions and it solved my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-12T07:05:39+00:00

    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 Build 16299.19 Double Login Screen Problem 

    Hello Everyone,

    After seeing this and reading all other problems consumers alike are experiencing after feature update the current update to Windows 10 on 10/17/17 Fall Creators Update OS Build 16299.19 1709. 

    I'm also having issues of the same nature it was directly after the update  system restarted and as always OS requested me to sign so I logged in on pressing enter it requested this a second time which I reluctantly did and now have errors being missing devices dvd usb drives apps third party all gone and cannot get them back.

    I have tried downloading from the store no luck there unsucessfully as I am set to download from the default  browser and its greyed out so I cannot change that setting.

    Yellow wording in update regarding updates and my organisation

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-12T11:28:29+00:00

    Hi Jeffrey,

    Have you tried Paul Seymour's suggestion that was marked as the correct answer in this thread?

    We have been seeing several reports regarding this and we suggest you try the steps he gave.

    We'll be here if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-12T16:01:26+00:00

    Hello Jeffrey,

               Please follow my Suggestion for a temporary Workaround to the second sign in Bug. This should take care of having to do a Double sign in. However!... I did NOT have the other problems you are experiencing with the Fall Creators 1709. (Below is my original post)..


    >"Hi Microsoft and All,

    Observation: After looking and tinkering with some of the settings, I find (that for me anyway) If I go to "Settings">Accounts>Sign-In Options> then scroll to the bottom of the screen, and turn "**OFF"**this switch 

    And then "Reboot" my system, Windows will only ask for my Password Once and boot into Win 10 Fall Creators as normal. 

    after this trial I returned the switch to the "On" position and the problem Returned. I will leave it "On" until Microsoft can Confirm the problem or Fix it correctly.  Has anyone else experienced this?... 

    I do NOT submit this as a FIX, or Suggest, that anyone try this suggestion. I Posted this here in Hopes that a Microsoft engineer will see it, and hopefully be able to point them into the right direction for a permanent Patch release in the next update. If anyone try's this, you do so, at your own Risk.

    I am a voluntary Microsoft Community Member like yourselves, and do Not work for Microsoft. 

    Thank-You

    Edit: 10/21/17 2:08pm After doing a Google search on this problem, I find that I'm Not the only one that has stumbled onto this. Someone on October 13th 2017 which is posted before me,  had almost this same information posted on "Reddit.com"labeled "Windows 10 Fall Creators Double login". "Just sending Credit to Where It belongs, after ALL it appears to me that they discovered it first" :)

    Good Luck and Best Regards...

    If any of my Reply's to you where Helpful or Your Answer, Please mark as so, Thank-You"<

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments