Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 Build 16299.19 Double Login Screen Problem

Anonymous
2017-10-18T23:35:35+00:00

Hello Everyone,

          After the current update to Windows 10 on 10/17/17 Fall Creators Update OS Build 16299.19 1709. I'm now experiencing a little problem that I hope a Microsoft  technical engineer will take note, and issue a FIX in the next cumulative Update. When ever I enter my Password in the login screen, I Have to enter it in twice. It has like a little hang. It does Not have this problem when waking from sleep, Only on Fresh Boot... (start up). 

Also Microsoft: I have sent this problem to your "Feedback Hub" in hopes you will send a Fix.

Edit10/21/17 MicrosoftPlease see my last post to myself at end of this thread for temporary work around???...

Thank-You...

And Best Regards...

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-24T18:43:07+00:00

Hi all,

We are investigating reports of customers being asked to enter their password or PIN twice on the lock screen.

I am confirming the steps Leprechaun J wrote in a previous reply as the correct workaround at this time.

Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

Down in the Privacy sections, toggle off the setting to “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish settings up my device after an update or restart.”

You will not see that second prompt for a password/pin the next time you start up.

Upvote / Follow one of the previously shared Feedback Hub reports to keep up to date with communications about the issue.

Paul…

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-27T19:56:39+00:00

    What is the impact to  leave this off permanently:  "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish settings up my device after an update or restart." ?  What will happen after update or restart without this being

    turned on?


    Hello g barb,

    >Leprechaun J

    I can't speak to any fix, the only information I have at this point is people are investigating the cause for this unexpected behavior.

    There are no risks to your privacy or security by toggling this feature off. If your credentials are needed for other device setup tasks after a future Update or Restart you would just be prompted at that time.

    Paul...<


    This is the information I have received so far from Paul...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-27T19:51:44+00:00

    Hello Larry,

            Thank-You for the information. I have posted a reply to Paul, in hopes that he will confirm your information, and be able to supply all of us with a more "Permanent Solution" to this Bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-27T19:47:25+00:00

    Leprechaun J

    I can't speak to any fix, the only information I have at this point is people are investigating the cause for this unexpected behavior.

    There are no risks to your privacy or security by toggling this feature off. If your credentials are needed for other device setup tasks after a future Update or Restart you would just be prompted at that time.

    Paul...


    Paul,

            Thank-You for this information. Please keep us posted on any future progress you are having concerning this "Bug" and hopefully a permanent Fix will be (If not already) in the works soon.

           Perhaps you could investigate this information lat227 has supplied us with in his reply/post???....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-25T17:45:11+00:00

    Hi....Microsoft Support resolved my problem of needing to do a "Double Login" at the Lock screen. The case # is 1401994032. She used the run command " netplwiz ' to enter my user account and check the box " users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Then restarted the system and all is well. I have restarted or power cycled the machine a dozen times the last two days to test everything and I only need a single login at the lock screen. Also, I looked at my privacy setting under the "sign-in options" and " use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after a update or restart is "Turned On ". Perhaps, someone with Microsoft could look at the "case #" and work up an Official Fix for this problem to release to everyone.

    Thanks

    Larry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments