Computer freezes when I open task manager.

Anonymous
2017-12-14T13:54:36+00:00

Can any one help me with this.

I got a new computer and every time I open up task manager it causes my computer to run slow then freezes.

If I have any thing running and open task manager this is when the issue starts.

I have windows 10 pro, i7, 20gb ram.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:41:29+00:00

    I've had this issue for at least 6 months now.  Happened on CU and also FCU.  System will stutter and will eventually freeze when task manager is open.  First indication is that the mouse gets wonky and doesn't move correctly (moves slowly and delayed).

    The few times I've gotten lucky and closed task manager when the issue started happening, everything cleared up right after task manager closed.

    i7 w/ 16GB RAM.  

    SFC and DISM are clean.  Happened on CU and now FCU.  Did a complete system reload on CU and FCU was a fresh install.  Issue came back after each.  Saw it on a Surface Pro 3 that I had before I got a new machine for the reload on CU.

    Hopefully someone has an idea how to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:45:41+00:00

    I am hoping that someone will get to the end of this, they need to really run thru there software better before a release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-24T06:15:25+00:00

    Hi Cody,

    A number of Community members with similar issues were able to resolve it by following the instructions in Jenicel Dri's reply on on March 26, 2017. Please check her reply on the link below and check if it helps:

    Start Menu, Taskbar, and Task Manager not working.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T17:16:28+00:00

    Problem:

    If you've recently update to Windows 10 *1708* you many notice the new Task Manager freezes up.

    There are no error messages or alerts in the logs.

    Environment:

    Windows 10 / Surface Pro 3

    TM was fine in 1703, but now it freezes up either the system or simply doesn't display any data.

    Troubleshooting attempted:

    • Uninstalled and reinstalled latest (Display) drivers
    • Ran "sfc /scannow" - no integrity violation found
    • Ran "dism /online ..." - nothing was fixed
    • Performed a Clean Install, this worked fine until updates were performed, then the problems resumed.

    Resolution:

    Create a new account, test TM, if it works, proceed to Registry edit.

    Registry settings for Task Manager Preferences:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TaskManager\Preferences - deleted it.

    Don't even need to reboot, but changes are at some point you customized the TM display and its now reset.

    If you have cloud based Win10, you will need to deleting the regkey on other machines.

    Please upvote the solution so others can see it first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-11T07:07:02+00:00

    Same problem Open TM and computer lags, close task manager by click on the X tons and problem goes away. Tried more fixes than I care to type. Pretty sure this is a software problem, can MS please fix this. Ridiculous that this is not fixed yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments