Computer freezes when I open task manager.

Anonymous
2017-12-14T13:54:36+00:00

Can any one help me with this.

I got a new computer and every time I open up task manager it causes my computer to run slow then freezes.

If I have any thing running and open task manager this is when the issue starts.

I have windows 10 pro, i7, 20gb ram.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-24T06:15:25+00:00

    Hi Cody,

    A number of Community members with similar issues were able to resolve it by following the instructions in Jenicel Dri's reply on on March 26, 2017. Please check her reply on the link below and check if it helps:

    Start Menu, Taskbar, and Task Manager not working.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:45:41+00:00

    I am hoping that someone will get to the end of this, they need to really run thru there software better before a release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:41:29+00:00

    I've had this issue for at least 6 months now.  Happened on CU and also FCU.  System will stutter and will eventually freeze when task manager is open.  First indication is that the mouse gets wonky and doesn't move correctly (moves slowly and delayed).

    The few times I've gotten lucky and closed task manager when the issue started happening, everything cleared up right after task manager closed.

    i7 w/ 16GB RAM.  

    SFC and DISM are clean.  Happened on CU and now FCU.  Did a complete system reload on CU and FCU was a fresh install.  Issue came back after each.  Saw it on a Surface Pro 3 that I had before I got a new machine for the reload on CU.

    Hopefully someone has an idea how to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T12:06:11+00:00

    Clean boot was done again(this morning since there was a update since I last did it), Computer updating is current. Still having the same issues with task manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T10:35:47+00:00

    Thank you for the fast response. We would like to know the results of the troubleshooting steps that Stephanie Sal provided last December 22nd. Were you able to perform a clean boot on your PC? If you did, please do tell us the results. This procedure is essential to determine if an installed software is causing the freezing issue whenever Task Manager is launched.

    We'll be waiting for the results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments