Computer freezes when I open task manager.

Anonymous
2017-12-14T13:54:36+00:00

Can any one help me with this.

I got a new computer and every time I open up task manager it causes my computer to run slow then freezes.

If I have any thing running and open task manager this is when the issue starts.

I have windows 10 pro, i7, 20gb ram.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-27T18:17:11+00:00

    I had the same issue on my old i7. Thinking the computer was dying (it was old), I bought a brand new i9, 64GB RAM, SSD, and performed a clean install. Mine seems to start getting slow if I open Visual Studio and Firefox is running. When I go to open Task Manager, the computer completely freezes from the UI perspective. Pandora will keep playing, but I have to reboot to be able to do anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-18T02:20:21+00:00

    Hi,

    There are several reasons why computer runs slow or freezes. One possible cause might be due to corrupted system files. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

    • Any hardware or software changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

    Meanwhile, if you haven't tried running the System File Checker yet, we recommend to do so. This tool will help scan and repair missing or corrupted system files. For your reference, check this article on how to use the System File Checker tool.

    We'll keep an eye out for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-17T23:27:16+00:00

    Hello I have had this issue for a while now. I have contacted soo many support groups and they are unable to fix it. I have had many problems with my pc in the past and was able to fix most of them but this is the unfixable. It kinda reminds me of microsoft itself. so I think we should all agree this bug is called Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T14:14:59+00:00

    @Mudnail

    I can confirm leaving Outlook 365 closed did help, it took longer for Task Manager to start acting crazy and slowing down the computer down.  I was able to actually close it to restore full use of the computer when it started.  (It took about 10-20 minutes before the computer started to hiccup with it open.)  So it's a good start....but not perfect in my testing.

    Fingers crossed that RS4, whatever it ends up being called has a hidden fix that addresses this as obviously Microsoft isn't helping.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-12T15:31:53+00:00

    Others have mentioned Office 365 here, I wanted to mention that I have done some testing and have confirmed that if Outlook for Office 365 is open when I open task manager, the cursor becomes laggy and the machine will sometimes come to a complete halt, however if I close Outlook first, task manager will open without issue. I tried the same thing with Word, but as long as Outlook is closed Task Manager seems to open fine. I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments