TLS security setting

Anonymous
2017-10-20T13:49:43+00:00

Can’t connect securely to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

Your TLS security settings aren’t set to the defaults, which could also be causing this error.

Good Day I am having issues,  I am getting that message when I try to register to an invitation I got from my employer

Please advise

Christine

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-17T19:18:59+00:00

This error is often returned for other reasons than those given. However, to ensure that you have the recommended settings for TLS, follow these steps:

  1. Press Windows key + R to open a Run box. Type control and press Enter to open Control Panel.
  2. Select Internet Options and open the Advanced tab.
  3. Scroll down to the Security section and make these selections:

If the option to Use SSL 2.0 is present, it should not be selected. 4. Click Apply and OK. 5. Close Control Panel.

These settings will make it possible to connect securely to most reliable websites. If you continue to see the same error, try again later. If there are still problems, they are most probably at the website. Use a Contact us option at the site to draw attention to them.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T02:24:47+00:00

    Thanks for following up. One step that I can suggest is to change SSL and TLS settings via Internet Options. Here's how:

    1. Type Internet Options on the Cortana search box and hit the Enter key.
    2. Click on the Advanced tab.
    3. Check the following options from the list: SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart your browser and try again.

    Note that disabling these features are considered unsafe, hence, your network provider might block access to websites that requires these setup. If the above steps won't work, I suggest that you contact your ISP or the IT department hosting your network for further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T08:06:15+00:00

    Check the following options from the list: SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2

    SSL 3.0 should not be selected. The protocol has been deprecated as unsafe since 2014: https://security.googleblog.com/2014/10/this-poodle-bites-exploiting-ssl-30.html  

    Note that disabling these features are considered unsafe,  

    Disabling these features will only mean that the user will not be able to connect to hosts that require them, which means most websites these days. It will have no effect on his safety.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T12:46:55+00:00

    I get an error message when I try to connect to a lot of the sites I have visited frequently in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-11T12:34:09+00:00

    thankyou for the support, I had all boxes checked and it still did not work, although suddenly today it has begun working again, I'm not entirely sure what changed but its working. thankyou however for your assistance, it was great to see Microsoft does actually care :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments