Google chrome starts automatically on windows 10 startup !!

Anonymous
2017-11-23T11:59:56+00:00

Can anyone suggest me how to STOP Google Chrome from automatic launch during Windows 10 STARTUP ?

This problem started after few regular boots post updating Windows 10 to Build 1709 (OS build 16299.64) & Chrome to latest version(Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit)). I've already checked the Startup tab from the taskbar , which I earlier Disabled for chrome from startup. But it is annoying every time I boot. 

[Moved to: Windows / Windows 10 /  Windows settings]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-04T15:40:49+00:00

    In my case, i had two accounts in google chrome, and in one of them had an extension Google Hangouts. That one starts my chrome automatically when my Win 10 starts. So i disabled it, and everything is ok now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T04:08:51+00:00

    Go too default apps under settings and make your browser anything BUT Chrome. This fixed it for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T02:40:25+00:00

    Go too default apps under settings and make your browser anything BUT Chrome. This fixed it for me. 

    That's nice, but I actually want Chrome as my default browser, so this isn't a good solution for me. How to I keep Chrome as my default Windows browser and stop it from opening on startup? The solutions marked earlier in this thread have not worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T03:05:11+00:00

    So I was having this problem as well, and I found a solution for my case:

    First the solutions that did not work:

    • Chrome is not listed in the "Startup" tab of Task Manager, so there's nothing to disable there.
    • Chrome is not listed anywhere using the "autoruns" program.
    • Chrome is not listed anywhere in the Task Scheduler app.
    • The Chrome advanced setting "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" is enabled. I did not try disabling this setting, I just left it turned on, the default state (as far as I know).
    • I have not changed my default browser - the default is still Chrome. I am unwilling to change this setting. :)

    The solution that did work for me:

    • I have the "Chrome Remote Desktop" extension installed in Chrome. Going to chrome://extensions/ and disabling this one extension stopped the problem with Chrome auto-opening. This extension installs a service named "chromoting" aka "Chrome Remote Desktop service". This service is still running after I start Windows even though I've disabled the extension in Chrome, but Chrome no longer auto launches on startup. I'm guessing if I removed the extension rather than just disabling it, it would also remove the chromoting service. At least I hope so.

    So, I don't know why the Remote Desktop extension causes Chrome to open on startup - it's either by design (necessary for the remoting to work) or it's a bug. I haven't experimented to see if it's by design that it launches Chrome on Windows startup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T13:54:04+00:00

    Same issue here.  Started on 1709 and now im on the new build (i forget the number but it was just released like a month ago).

    Chrome just decides its going to launch itself.  Ive booted in safe mode and it doesnt happen, it only happens in normal mode.

    Its not caused by any virus as ive wiped the PC and installed chrome (no extensions) then i installed Windows updates until it needed to reboot.  I closed the chrome window the pc rebooted and when i logged in chrome opened itself.

    Its not in the autorun list but chrome is always running in the background so i assume thats whats opening it.  I figured the bug was on googles end but someone else mentioned spotify opening on boot.

    None of the mentioned solutions worked for me although i did not try changing my default browser because i want to use chrome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments