Pen behavior in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Anonymous
2018-01-10T12:59:32+00:00

Ever since installing the Fall Creators Update, using a pen on a tablet or laptop screen doesn’t behave as it did before.  Instead of selecting text or files, the pen now scrolls.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows ink and touch

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-01-10T13:03:40+00:00

The Fall Creators Update implements a new interaction design to better utilize the features available to most pens in the marketplace. No pen behaviors were removed, but some actions have been reassigned to make pen behave more consistently across Windows. Previously, pen tip performed a wide variety of actions, from selection to drag-n-drop to content manipulation, while barrel button function was underutilized in the system. In the Fall Creators Update, we are making the barrel button more useful by assigning it selection and drag-n-drop functionality, while making the pen tip more useful for content manipulation, like scrolling. While these changes might seem uncomfortable at first, they make pen a more versatile tool that enhances current user experience and will enable future exciting experiences. 

Although pen is most useful for inking, in places where inking does not make sense or is not yet available, pen can now directly manipulate content the way your finger does. This functionality is available to most applications, such as File Explorer, Edge, or Start Menu, where you can now scroll without the help of a scrollbar and manipulate text selection through grippers. This change eliminates the need to hunt-and-peck for UI elements and prevents users from constantly switching between pen and other input modalities.

Barrel button also gained meaning in the Fall Creators update. Now, no matter what you want to select within the system, whether it is text in Edge, ink in OneNote, or files in File Explorer, you can do it by pressing the barrel button and dragging. Drag-n-drop with the pen is just as easy – press the barrel button, grab an object with the pen tip, and drag it to a new location. 

Making behavioral changes is always difficult. To avoid confusion and bad user experience, we worked with software developers, both internal and external, to properly react to the pen changes. While we reached out to most developers that see considerable pen usage in their applications, we did not hear back from all. If your favorite application is behaving incorrectly since the latest update, please report it by emailing WindowsInk@microsoft.com and we will work with the developer to correct any issues.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-28T15:28:09+00:00

    This is seriously stupid. Don't tell us how we're confused, you guys broke the pen functionality all over the place and called it the "Creator's Update." It's actually ironic - if I try and use pen input in office programs, it starts drawing all over the damn place, but if I try and draw in WebCanvas inputs (ie, web browsers) it starts scrolling around! Exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to do, it's like magic.

    This update doesn't actually improve usability anywhere that I can see. And I use the damn pen all day.

    Also, "acts like touch input." Good god, did you guys talk to ANYBODY about that? That's just... mindbogglingly bad.

    I'll be clear on my biggest complaint here: I have never, ever wanted the default pen behaviour to be scrolling. Right-click and drag, sure I could see that. Touch input, yeah the metaphor for moving the page works. Default Pen? No. God no. Fire the person who thought that was a good idea. The automatic drawing in office apps is a bad idea, but at least I can see why it might be considered reasonable. (Fix that too though.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T15:09:08+00:00

    Anytime you include a new feature, you should allow the user the option to disable it especially if that feature is not fully developed. All of Windows force updates and changes disrupts the workflow for many people. I never leave any feedback because I can deal with alot of bulll shiit, but this Creators update is just a total shiit storm. 

    Completely agree. The same feelings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T15:07:02+00:00

    Okay.

    I don't know what you are talking about.

    First of all, I have Sony VAIO digitizer VGP-STD2 for VAIO Fit 15'', which worked awesome before your Fall update.

    Now flick gestures don't work at all, so I'm now just not able to use this device with the full functionality it provided before. And now I have to use your ugly redesigned touch keyboard which is once again a great buggy pain.

    I'm not sure is this kind of working in a new so-called uncomfortable way, which is supposed to be 'at first' only? I can't wait to know when exactly does this 'at first' finish?

    Obviously, this is a bug, because flick gestures were not declared as removed functionality.

    Second, if you introduce some new features, why you do this in the way which is uncomfortable for your customers, even 'at fist' and why don't you provide an option just to keep things in old working way and to turn your new so-called 'feature' happiness off?

    I don't really think the word 'uncomfortable' describes the fact that some functionality is gone because of a bug.

    And if you do consider possible bad user experience and have the understanding that this developing process is difficult, why don't you just use beta-testing process for the development period? You even have the Insider program, why you need to roll this stuff out to production?? 

    I find this to be completely unprofessional.

    I want my stylus working the way it did and I don't want to be so-called 'uncomfortable' no matter 'at first' or forever.

    The third thing, your email address was 'removed for privacy' by your firm. See your post. Any other way to contact you?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-13T21:09:02+00:00

    Anytime you include a new feature, you should allow the user the option to disable it especially if that feature is not fully developed. All of Windows force updates and changes disrupts the workflow for many people. I never leave any feedback because I can deal with alot of bulll shiit, but this Creators update is just a total shiit storm. 

    I use a Wacom tablet daily for graphic design, and I can see what Windows is trying to improve, but it's just not up to the standards yet. It sucks, just allow the users to disable it along with any other new features added. That would make everyone alot more accepting.

    I use scrollAnywhere on my browser, which is the best addon for using your Wacom tablet to scroll, but I can't use it anymore because of your stupid update to the pen. 

    Issues with the pen:

    • scroll function is not smooth
    • doesn't allow the user the option to select scrolling type for example, the option to have the content scroll down as I click and drag the pen down
    • the stroke to scroll up or down is too long (user should be allowed to adjust)   
    • hitting the bottom or top of the web browser while scrolling cause the whole browser to jump (useless function)
    • sometime windows wont close
    • selecting text sucks ass
    • user should be allowed to select when and where the scroll function comes into play

    Im thinking about moving to Linux, does anyone have experience using a Wacom tablet with Linux? 

    Suck it Windows!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments