Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T06:22:46+00:00

    This issue occurs no matter what browser I use firefox edge chrome etc. Whatever is set as my default browser randomly opens to MSN which is not my homepage (thats google and I know how to set a homepage thats not the issue) I have never even been onto MSN. Please actually read the question it does help. So again what windows component is triggering whatever I use as a default browser to open to MSN with no user interaction?

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-17T06:31:20+00:00

    I told you what to do .  Now do the steps I gave and report back the results if you want help here.

    I help people by the thousands and every one who cooperates and is polite gets their problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T06:40:38+00:00

    None of what you've suggested relates to my issue. Please put me through to your manager your first response was "snarky" and you've only gotten worse great customer service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-17T07:17:40+00:00

    You said your browser was being hijacked by MSN which isn't a browser but a web page.  It's somehow set as your Home Page, probably because something like Bing was added.  I told you all ways this can be removed.  If you won't follow the steps then I can't help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments