Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-13T15:43:07+00:00

    Hi,

    We recommend to uninstall and reinstall your Firefox to isolate the issue, that will replace any missing or damaged files.

    Keep us updated with the results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-14T03:33:30+00:00

    Hi as previously stated this issue is not isolated to firefox it occurs with edge as well if it is set to the default browser. It does not matter what I use as a default browser this issue of randomly opening to msn occurs. A little help please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T13:56:09+00:00

    So any ideas why this is occurring? I tried uninstalling reinstalling firefox but no change. The only thing I've found that apparently solves this issue is a registry hack, but I shouldn't have to alter the registry to stop msn from opening at random times. This seems to be a windows issue that many people are having trouble with so a solution would be nice. I've never actually gone onto the msn website there is nothing I want on there this lack of response from microsoft makes it seem as if they are trying to force it on me which isn't right. Again a little help with this issue please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T05:50:30+00:00

    * Merged *

    Hi no matter what I have set as my default web browser it opens randomly by itself to MSN homepage. I've checked for viruses and found none, tried uninstalling reinstalling web browsers to no effect even restored my pc to an earlier time only for the issue to return. I've seen some people have altered the registry to stop this happening, but surely there is a fix that doesn't involve a registry hack? As this seems to be a windows issue I was hoping you could help? thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-17T05:59:46+00:00

    In the Settings, every browser has a setting to set your Home page.

    If it won't set or stay set, run full scans with Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner:

    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcle...

    Remove any Add-on's, Extensions or other Search services in Browser settings.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments