Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-22T16:42:41+00:00

    Yes....

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
    2018-03-22T12:44:11+00:00

    "As an update I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows again " -> How?  Did you use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T07:34:36+00:00

    This an altered thread there are things missing from the original. Altered by microsoft support dodgy. As an update I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows again this time I prevented windows update from running after 24hrs all good. Allowed windows update to run after creators update installed issue reoccurred. Please note I have not accessed the internet or installed any apps on that pc I have only let windows update run. This is not a browser hijacker it is something else. So now I'm going to reinstall windows but keep windows update disabled and start using it again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T13:54:25+00:00

    Solved with a registry hack issue gone completely thanks for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more